ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2020-02-06T11:46:09Z
We are considering replacing our Tohatsu 6 short shaft sail drive engine because it is becoming uneconomic to repair. Has anyone replaced their engines recently? Our local dealer (who we have used for many years) does not sell Tohatsu but has suggested a Mariner 6 which is similar to the Tohatsu but as recent engines seem to have got bigger over the years we are concerned that it will not fit the well. Has anyone had experience of the Mariner or any other suggestions would be very useful, please
Many thanks

Chris Cobb

235 / 40 Tarakihi
John Edwards
2020-02-15T17:17:43Z
Hi Chris,

I replaced my Tohatsu 6hp, which I assumed to be the original, towards the end of the season, two years ago. Similar circumstances to yours – it gave up the ghost and deemed to be beyond economic repair.

I replaced like for like, partly because of cost – the price quoted seemed to be cheapest option - and partly in that I wanted to get back out on the water and didn’t really have time for much research. The new one has proven to be fine. Seems slightly bigger but no other issues, and performs well.

Interesting that you mentioned short shaft. The recommendation from the dealer, having confirmed with whatever manual, was that a long shaft was the correct model. I wondered what others might be using!

Anyway, here’s to a good season!

Regards

John
235/07 Diamond
John Edwards
2020-02-15T17:18:19Z
Hi Chris,

I replaced my Tohatsu 6hp, which I assumed to be the original, towards the end of the season, two years ago. Similar circumstances to yours – it gave up the ghost and deemed to be beyond economic repair.

I replaced like for like, partly because of cost – the price quoted seemed to be cheapest option - and partly in that I wanted to get back out on the water and didn’t really have time for much research. The new one has proven to be fine. Seems slightly bigger but no other issues, and performs well.

Interesting that you mentioned short shaft. The recommendation from the dealer, having confirmed with whatever manual, was that a long shaft was the correct model. I wondered what others might be using!

Anyway, here’s to a good season!

Regards

John
235/07 Diamond
Silkkn
2022-01-27T11:31:37Z
Hi John,

Apologies for this rather belated question but was your replacement engine the longshaft version of the Tohatsu 6hp sail pro ?? If this was the case did you encounter any problems with that version. I am in the process of replacing my short shaft Tohatsu 6hp sail pro and note that this version is no longer available.

Many thanks

Richard
Silkkin 235/59
John Edwards
2022-01-27T15:05:22Z
Hi Richard,
Yes, my replacement engine was a long shaft version of the Tohatsu 6hp sail pro, as recommended by the dealer, in consultation with whatever Tohatsu manual; it replaced an existing long shaft version that had finally given up the ghost.

It seemed slightly larger (taller) than the previous, but that was not a problem. Overall I am happy with the engine, particularly in relation to price. Seems quite noisy, as was the last one, hence I cut it at every opportunity.
Not the greatest of starters, particularly when ‘warm’ but the dealer replaced the carburettor at the service last year, and it has performed much better. Currently in for servicing now, so I hope starting will not be a future challenge.

Regards

John
235/07 Diamond
Gilliane Sills
2022-01-30T18:42:48Z
Richard, have you looked at the recording of the Zoom meeting we had on electric engines? It's in the members' area of the website and it seems that Alan and Sarah Charters have been very pleased with the conversion to an electric outboard for their Super Seal. I would guess that the epropulsion Spirit could do very well for a 235. It would be more expensive to buy but beautifully quiet to use.

Gilliane
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41