JustinT
2020-01-14T22:31:07Z
Hello

I'm new here, I have just acquired a Seal 28 and my wife and I are in love with it already. Anyway, this seems a useful place to be, very keen to take out membership asap too.

Best wishes

Justin

Seal 28 - "Veterata 2"
Gilliane Sills
2020-01-15T08:57:25Z
http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/about/newmember.aspx  for details. If you decide to set up a Direct Debit for the subscription (our preferred option), the 2021 and subsequent subscriptions will be taken automatically and I can take this year's subscription manually, so it's a very simple option. And you can cancel any time, either through your bank or by telling me you'd like to cancel - though I hope you won't want to do this for many years...

Gilliane

Membership secretary

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
Neil Sinclair
2020-01-25T17:15:58Z
Good luck with the Seal 28 - We've had ours for 17 years, now!
Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

JustinT
2020-01-25T18:35:53Z
Originally Posted by: Neil Sinclair 

Good luck with the Seal 28 - We've had ours for 17 years, now!

Thank you! We love her, such an awesome boat. Can't see why we won't try for 17 years!

Seal 28 - "Veterata 2"
Lee Taylor
2020-01-28T01:37:03Z
Hi Justin, a friend and me have just acquired a Seal 28 too. Good to see we're not the only newbies on here. We are in Scotland as well in the Firth of Clyde, and are brave enough for now to venture to the inner Hebrides, so might see you out on Auld Briny!

We love the boat too, amazing amount of space for a 28 and she looks great. Can't wait to get her in the water and see what the drop keel performs like compared to our previous bilge keelers!

How is she faring, do you have any/many projects in mind? We've done a good deal of work fixing leaks and replacing water damaged panels etc. I've also rewired everything, some of the post production work left a lot to be desired. At the moment, the keel has been hoisted up into the saloon and resting on on the housing while we wait for a new lifting eye. If you have the lifting keel version, you should check the condition of the lifting eye.

Another thing i would check is the flexible exhaust pipe condition. In ours i found that the section running from the starboard locker to the stern, was worn through. The rest of the exhaust had been replaced when the yacht was re-engined with a 3YM20 but that section is hidden from view and was presumably original. The wire wound inside the rubber of the pipe to stop it collapsing, had rusted right through and had been leaking exhaust fluids(presumably both gas and liquid) into the aft cabin. The clue to this was that there was a puddle and streaks of rusty water staining along the length of the aft cabin under the starboard berth.

Hopefully that hasn't taken the wind out of your sails. I'm sure yours will have been maintained a bit better than ours has but i thought best to mention due to the potential dangers.

Lee

Seal 28

Whiskey Mac

JustinT
2020-01-28T10:39:30Z
Hi Lee

Ours is in need of quite a but of work. Early days yet as we've been too busy to get to her more than twice.

We're on the end of the Calledionian Canal, Loch Locky. We're definitely intending to venture to the Hebrides and more. I'm taking courses as am a complete newby but the boat needs a fair bit of attention before going far.

My wife and I are restoring an old church, so not too much more work with the Seal 28. Eventually we hope to find a mooring closer to us.

And yes, the Seal 28, such a pretty boat, and so much room inside! Ours is a lifting keel.

All the best

Justin

Seal 28 - "Veterata 2"
Lee Taylor
2020-01-28T19:09:58Z
Yes luckily working on boats is half of the fun 🙂 We have a list of jobs and improvements down for next winter already. As long as she's sea worthy and clean(ish) it should be a great season in 2020!

Doing up an old church sounds amazing. Good for you guys!

We'll be heading to Fort William in the boat for a family and friends meet up at the end of July, beautiful spot. Isle of Lismore is on the list and maybe Tobermory and Holy Isle, weather permitting.

You can see the lifting eye from inside if you take the table top off in the saloon. If you are replacing it and need any advice feel free to quiz away.

Best of luck and fair winds when you get her out.

Lee

Seal 28

Whiskey Mac