Ken Surplice
2019-11-19T21:12:12Z
Hello Seals. I see the forum is alive with maintenance topics such as decal stripes, gas alarms and headlining. Let me add to this and bring in the diesel filter on my 1GM10. There are three things on which I'd appreciate your advice:
- adding a priming bulb
- size of fittings / adapters
- handling copper fuel pipe

The current filter / water separator is the Delphi 296 type. It is old, rusty, hard to reach and messy to service. For these reasons, I rarely visit it. When I visited the ASAP Supplies stand at the Southampton Boat Show I was able to get a close up look at a spin-on filter that would make servicing a breeze. With a decent show discount on offer, I took the plunge. Now it is time to fit it. Current setup is copper pipe from diesel tank to filter, then plastic pipe thereafter. The plastic pipe is patterned and somewhat clear. I'm told that it needs to be black fuel pipe to meet current standards.

PRIMING BULB
I often read that some owners place a priming bulb, presumably the sort that outboard motors (non-electric!) have, where you squeeze the bulb to prime the fuel. The bulb is used instead of the engine's lift pump to bleed air out of the fuel lines, as it is reportedly much easier this way.
- Would you recommend this approach, if you tried it already?
- Can the bulb go between diesel filter and engine, as I have copper pipe from tank to the filter and prefer to leave it in place?
- What do you connect the bulb with? Is it a case of jubilee clips and 'standard' black fuel pipe?

FITTINGS / ADAPTERS
The new filter has a port size of 3/4" - 16 UNF (SAE J1926). My copper fuel pipe has outside diameter 8mm. The current fuel pipe has outside diameter 14mm. I didn't measure the inside diameter yet as I need to run the engine shortly and plan to fit the new fuel plumbing after that.
- Am I correct in thinking that the Delphi ports are both 1/2" UNF ?
- Presumably my copper input pipe has an adapter to 1/2" UNF so I need another adapter to go from 1/2" UNF to 3/4" UNF?
- If the Delphi output is 1/2" UNF then my current plastic fuel pipe from filter to engine will need an adapter from 1/2" UNF to 3/4" UNF?

HANDLING COPPER PIPE
I am hoping to leave my current copper pipe to filter intact. If I need to move the filter, and therefore the pipe,
- is making up and bending copper fuel pipe a DIY job?
- what is the specification of the pipe and where do you buy it?

All advice gratefully received and appreciated, thank you - Ken

Ken