David Smith
2019-08-01T17:28:08Z
If you ever need a highly skilled marine engineer in Cowes I can highly recommend Russ Jolliffe. Russ owns Medina Marine Services, a Yanmar, Volvo, Mercruiser Dealer and Marine Engineers based just before the chain link ferry, starboard side. The big old black crane is his part of Cowes history and heritage!

Last season we were sailing the Solent when hot water appeared on the cabin floor. It was coming from the hot water tank! My sister was down below making tea. Water is running over the cabin floor she shouted! A quick inspection by me ( panic ) that it was fresh, not salt water on the floor made life easier. We were not sinking and carried on to our planned stop off at Cowes. The very helpful Harbour Master at Shephards Wharf recommended Russ. We walked down to Medina Marine Services, explained our problem to Russ who then dropped everything he was doing and came straight to our boat to help and advise. He agreed with my diagnosis , a leaking tank! Parkers did not fit as standard shut off valves. Various options, solutions, fixes were discussed and to cut a long story short a new tank was required and fitted the next day and the all important shut off valves. It was amazing that the original Parker tanks were made in Ryde! One was in stock, quickly collected by one of his mechanics.

We talked about other future planned work that was needed, a heat exchanger service, Yanmar advise a full strip down every 6 years and two engine mounts replacing and a dreaded exhaust elbow. Russ gave us a very competitive quote for the work, much cheaper than the mainland! He offered us free mooring on his pontoon for the duration of the work. We had the work done in September and had a weeks free holiday on the Island. Walking boots and an OS map. We decide the quickest option was an engine out, the black crane did the job.

Being an ex Design Technology Teacher I was impressed will his highly equipped workshop, engineering skills and work ethic of mend, fix , re condition etc before going down the line of expensive factory parts. The old school solutions! A proper engineer!

If any Parker , Seal owners need help or advise Russ would be happy to help. Russ can be contacted on 07970845956

David
Blythe Spirit 285 HS