Stromboli
2019-06-03T18:36:18Z
Hi

I am planning on putting Stromboli onto a smooth concrete scrubbing grid.

I will ensure that there are no stones etc on the pad.

I am thinking of putting some timber (joist size) under the hull as padding. One piece just in front of the keel slot & one behind & the rear of the boat to sit on its metal covered skeg.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Brian
Brian
"Stromboli"
Super Seal (79)
peter lowry
2019-06-04T15:15:04Z
Hi Brian

If you are planning to dry our on a concretre base then it is advisable to try to allow her to dry on planks however it will be very difficult to scrub and antifoul the botton as a a lot of her will be on the bottom

My old 26 and now my 275 has successfully dried out at Hardway SC , they have one drying pad Number 8 i think which is a raised platform of 5 railway like sleepers about 2 feet apart allowing flat botton boats to dry out about 3 feet off the ground very easy to scrub and antifoul

Hardways pads are open to the public and you go on line and book
I believe its £10 for the pad, £10 for the use of the jet washer and £3 per token (get 2) as they last about 35 mins
If you get her right on the pad, you will be able to drop the keel about a third to antifoul that too.

Be aware dont do it on neaps as not a lot of water

Go to Hardway sailing club at low water and chat to the locals

hope this helps

Peter Lowry (my Mate Alan Bought Folly from you he loves her !)
Commodore
Sophia 275 # 53
philip linsell
2019-06-04T19:53:36Z
Hi Brian
If you are going to support the hull on 2 bearers the front one should be immediately in front of the keel and the rear approx 2.1m aft of this.
This is the dimension for a cradle in the superseal handbook.
Philip
superseal 50 rascal
Stromboli
2019-06-04T20:03:08Z
Hi Peter

Thank you for your quick reply & I am so pleased Alan is enjoying "Folly" she is a great boat.

We are enjoying "Stromboli" very much, as you told us they are an amazing boat.

We have actually just joined Harday Sailing club, as we are now on a bouy in the harbour. We tried to get onto grid 8 on a neap 😣 but there was not enough water.

Could you tell me when you used the grid 8, did you have the skeg & prop hanging over the last sleeper or inside? I was worried about the prop hitting.

Bye the way congratulations on being Commodore.

All the best.

Brian

Brian
"Stromboli"
Super Seal (79)
Stromboli
2019-06-04T20:06:29Z
Hi Philip

Thank you also for your reply, very useful. What width bearers would you suggest.

I have an old handbook, but can't find the cradle dimensions, it may be worth getting an up to date one.

Many Thanks
Brian
Brian
"Stromboli"
Super Seal (79)
philip linsell
2019-06-05T08:08:53Z
Brian
My handbook is old too, I've sent you the pages relating to the cradle.
Philip
peter lowry
2019-06-06T15:16:01Z
Hi

thank you for your wishes and am very pleased you are enjoying Stromboli...

I usually aim for 1000/1100hrs HW

Place her mast halfway between to two posts and the skeg and prop will be completely clear of the supports,, she will sit upright and hull will be well supported

slight downside is u will float a bit lae in the evening but as you are members just put hber on the jetty

hope it works out for you and perhaps we will see you at a rally this season

Peter

Martin Watson
2019-06-10T14:47:33Z
Hi Brian, I too have used Hardways drying pad when I needed to change the pitch cassette on my feathering prop on FRITH. As Peter says, don't try it on neaps as not enough water. As I recall I went in when HW was about 1000 hrs and managed to get off at about 2000hrs when it was already dark, but there is so much background light in the harbour I had no difficulty getting back on my mooring in GCC. If you make a note of where the rearmost sleeper is and aim to position the boat with the stern hanging about four feet back from that, you will be fine.
Martin Watson
Stromboli
2019-06-10T19:07:33Z
Thank you everyone for your help.

Yesterday I dried stromboli out on the flat concrete pad at HSC. I used two bearers 6" x 4" × 8' pushed under her while she was still floating, and supported them with ropes up to the guard rail to keep them level, she settled perfectly. I was able to change the anodes, clean the prop (badly needed) polish the hull and give the bottom a light clean off. I was lucky the weather was stunning, I was even able to have a beer in the cockpit after.

I will at a later date use the higher grid on a spring tide ☺, using all your advice. For now she is flying.

Thanks again.
Brian
"Stromboli"
Super Seal (79)