Rapp
  • Rapp
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2019-05-07T16:37:39Z
Back 8 months ago, I had to remove Annalise from its berth place in august (Ploubazlanec, north Brittany) as the lift keel system happened to be damaged beyond repair possibilities. I simply could not lift the keel and was force to put Annalise ashore in a Paimpol yard. Annalise dries out in soft mud just close to our house.

I finally resolve to look for a replacing solution and after many unsuccessful contacts, found a company in the Granville area which designed, and manufactured in december 2018 a brand new system.

The new "treuil" is better designed (presence of barings), better manufactured (larger teeths for the drum, bronze component, and looks more solid (the steel surrounding is more "heavy duty").

I was very pleased with the outcome in december but decided not to communicate before real usage confirm my original impression.

I have sailed Annalise for a couple weeks now and it is perfectly working.Lifting the keel happens to be much easier than it used to be.

I am willing to send plans and pictures of the system, as well as company references if anybody finds it useful.

Last but not least, the price was in my opinion very reasonable (1124€ Vat included).

Amitiés,

Paul Rapp

Ken Surplice
2019-05-07T21:10:11Z
Salut Paul,

The problems with the inferior original winch have been discussed in this forum. I switched back to manual operation but the effort with the winch is hard work. Two owners modified the winch to strengthen the sides and that seems to work well. Now you have a new solution. Please do share photos and further information about your new winch and the supplier. I am sure many people would be interested. Thank you for writing about your initiative!

Cordialement,

Ken

Ken
GeoffTurner
2019-05-08T10:35:42Z
From Paul:

Bonjour Ken,

Not too familiar with posting documents on PSSA forum. Hope this will work.

4 documents:

1/ Company references

mcscard.jpg

Click to View Image26 View(s)

2/ Plan drawing of the system

Treuil plan.PDF (206kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

3/ 2 pictures of the treuil

Treuil4.JPG

Click to View Image35 View(s)

Treuil1.JPG

Click to View Image34 View(s)

I developed a good relationship with Pierre-Antoine Jossaume (in case of need....).

Amitiés,

Paul

DickG
2019-07-20T04:41:23Z
Originally Posted by: Ken Surplice 

Salut Paul,

The problems with the inferior original winch have been discussed in this forum. I switched back to manual operation but the effort with the winch is hard work. Two owners modified the winch to strengthen the sides and that seems to work well. Now you have a new solution. Please do share photos and further information about your new winch and the supplier. I am sure many people would be interested. Thank you for writing about your initiative!

Cordialement,

Ken

I replaced the Dutton Lainson with an electro-hydraulic system. If you search the forum for Parker 275 - New Keel Hoist you should find the posts describing it - there's a link to a dropbox with photo's and more details of the system. The hydraulic ram takes much less space in the fore cabin than the old winch.

Parker 275 - New Keel Hoist 

Paul Rapp's winch looks like a properly designed piece of marine hardware too - well done!

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36