pmcdanell
2019-04-23T23:17:26Z
Does anyone know who could supply and retro-fit an electric keel winch on a 275? the boat is in Ipswich now but will be in Chichester/Cowes in due course.

Philip

Ken Surplice
2019-05-02T19:56:18Z
Hi Philip,

There are several Parker 275 at Deacons Marina at the top of the River Hamble. At least three of them are fitted with electric winches. The yard team have a good amount of experience with the Parkers and should be able to assist you while using the installations in other boats to guide them. In the first instance I would call Deacons and have a wire with manager Nick.

Ken

Vol-au-vent

Ken
DickG
2019-07-20T04:53:46Z
Sorry I haven't checked on here recently!

Suggest you search the forum for electric keel winch related articles, as there are some problems with the Dutton Lainson type of winch - you'll find a lot of threads on here.

I solved the problem by removing the winch and replacing it with an electro-hydraulic system. It's described in this thread:-

Parker 275 - New Keel Hoist System 

There is one unused set of the machined alloy parts in existence.

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36

pmcdanell
2019-07-22T17:26:44Z
Thanks. That is really helpful. Philip
Ken Surplice
2019-09-18T17:34:40Z
Where can I order a Dutton Lainson SA5000 winch?

It's winch time again. I've had two Dutton Lainson SA5000 winches fail on my P275. As others have had more success by modifying the cheeks of the winch, and my boat has all the wiring and hangars for it, I am going to try again. Step 1: order a winch. Step 2: get it beefed up. Step 3: fit and forget.

I'm off to a bad start as I try to source this particular winch. My last was supplied via UK distributor Aquafax. When I search their website it appears they no longer stock Dutton Lainson products. Searching for any of 'Strongarm SA5000' does not produce any results in the UK. I see that some resellers sell Strongarm electric winches, eg. Extreme Marine, Southampton, and Raptor Supplies in London. Before I ask them to place a special order, does anyone know of a supplier is likely to be familiar with this winch? Thanks for your advice.

Ken
Ken Surplice
2019-09-27T07:50:13Z
I've given up on a UK source. I will order from the USA. Dutton Lainson did not reply to my email enquiring who distributes their products in the U.K.
Ken
Phill
2019-09-29T16:02:38Z
Ken Surplice
2019-09-29T17:07:02Z
Hi Phil,

Fantastic. You are very thoughtful and may I say an excited "yes please". Any time is a good time and this will save the trouble of placing an order to the USA. Please contact me when convenient and I will come and see you or arrange postage.

Many thanks for coming to my rescue,

Ken

Ken
Phill
2019-09-29T17:19:48Z
Ken,

As soon as I get home I'll sort it out.

I'm based in Lincoln but have autumn trips to Bristol and the New Forest planned if that helps.

Phill

DickG
2019-09-29T17:51:36Z
Glad to see the old winches going to perform further service.

I need to correct one of the statements above - For the electro-hydraulic system I made [see link in my post above] , there is no longer a set of unused machined alloy parts available - the owner of a P285 has acquired them to replace his Dutton Lainson winch.

I will make a note to ask him to consider donating his old winch to Phil.

Regards

Dick

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36

AWJ 275
2024-01-27T21:49:11Z
Hi,

Looking to fit the Dutton Larson winch that I have already purchased to my 275 (Peerless).

Just wondered if anybody has see it or knows, would it be possible/sensible to fit the winch down low beneath the fwd bunk immediately in front of the keel, looks like I may have to move a seacock and do a bit of timber work round the rope as it passes through the cabin and find a way of making a very strong fixing down there for the winch to fix.

Any experience and pics of this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew