ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2019-03-14T11:02:02Z
I have found that the seacock under the heads wash basin appears to be leaking at the skin fitting as evidenced by a "rusty coloured deposit" on the down-hill side. I am rather worried by this and am considering removing and replacing the seacock (really a ball valve) and skin fitting. However, the skin fitting and ball valve appear to have a "silvered" finish and not the usual brass/bronze colour. Also, I can't reconcile a rusty residue with non ferrous fittings so am at a loss the see actual problem. Has anyone come across this issue before and/or knows what type of fittings were originally fitted. Further, was the skin fitting glassed in - in which case how does one remove it?

Many thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi

Zander Bruce
2019-03-16T14:04:13Z
I had a leak on my sink ball valve - turned out to be the ball forging which had longitudinal cracking most likely as a result of frost damage. I only found the source of the leak after putting a bung in the outlet and filling the sink with water, the leak only showed up when the ball valve was in the half open position as this is the only point the main body of the valve is exposed to the fluid. Replaced it with a 316 SS but valve quite a bit larger. When I put the boat away this year I will wash through with some screen wash and leave valves 1/2 open to avoid trapped fluid freezing in valve cavity and damaging the valve

Zander 235

ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2019-03-16T15:29:46Z
Thanks for your reply - I will check the valve but I do usually leave the valves open so don’t think mine would be frost damage. Do you know what your skin fitting is made of - is it also stainless steel.

Chris

235/48