MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2019-03-13T11:54:14Z
Can anyone recommend a boat yard with experience of lifting the keel out of a Parker (preferably a 235) for repair / maintenance ?
Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

jalbery
2019-03-15T15:48:31Z
From my experience of lifting my (275) keel out more times than I care to think about, it's very straightforward and any boatyard would be able to do it. I would suggest using the one closest to you.
Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1
Zander Bruce
2019-03-16T13:12:45Z
I don't have access to boat yard or suitable lifting equipment so pu the trailer on blocks then using woden beams (3"x8" I Think) across the boat jacked the boat up off the trailer with 2 2 ton bottle Jacks. Boat is about 50cm off trailer so all permanently wetted bits of the keel exposed. The boat is on a drying mooring so keel only full down when in use. You also need lots of woden blocks to walk each end of the boat up.

I will take the keel out the top some day but no sign of any issues once I get above the first 40cm so just going to clean Up, put on some suitable paint and Antifouling

Zander Parker 235

MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2019-03-16T16:39:36Z
I need to take the keel right out because the fibre glass panels are coming adrift and the cavity filling up with water
Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

Zander Bruce
2019-03-16T20:21:57Z
Ah a bit more serious then - I am still looking for somewhere strong enough and high enough to hang a chain hoist from so I can get the keel out, move the boat and work on the keel whilst supported on the chain hoist. Not sure how you handle and transport a 300kg keel so keen to avoid it if I can.

Be interested to hear how you get on with refurbing your keel

Cheers

Zander

ARRussell
2019-03-19T21:56:32Z
Hello Mike,

It doesn't exactly answer your question but I remember that the former owner of your boat had a gantry that he used to lift the keel out. He posted photos on here, which might interest you - search for your boat's name.

Best wishes,

Anthony

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche