David Ellis
2018-03-05T14:06:16Z
After some happy years sailing in Falmouth Bay we have decided this year to relocate Saffie (P21 No. 67) to somewhere more convenient for the two owners, based in St Albans and the Midlands respectively. The Solent seems a possibility and appears to have a number of members in the area.

We wanted to know of any particular recommendations for where to keep the boat in the area. Ideally we are looking for somewhere not too far from the road network from where we live without a long waiting list for moorings. Not too concerned whether we keep the boat on her trailer in a secure park in the area and launch as required (Trafalgar Wharf in Portsmouth appear to offer this) or take a mooring, although I suspect we would get on the boat rather quicker if she was already afloat. Is anyone able to suggest a good base for this area that does not cost a fortune?

Many thanks in anticipation and we look forward to meeting some of the local members in due course.

David Ellis

David Ellis
peter lowry
2018-03-05T17:31:56Z
Hello David
It would be great to see "Saffie" again in the Solent, We had many seasons cruising in company with her then owners on our seal 22.

Several places to dry sail her from would be Bucklers Hard on the Beaulieu river, there are a few Parker 235 who launch and recover from there.
The other place would be Calshot activity Centre albeit a bit away from Motorways.

Mooring, there are loads of marina on the Hamble. MDL, Universal Marina or Deacons right on the M27, again there are 3 or 4 Parker 275s there .
Portsmouth Harbour also have several pontoons marina,s Wicor marina Hardway , Quay lane marina.

I am sure there will be lots of other people adding idea,s to help you find a suitable parking space

Hope this Helps
Peter Lowry
Vice Commodore
adrian
2018-03-07T20:29:11Z
Hi David
the Solent is a great place to sail, with places to visit what ever the weather, we have been cursing the area for 12 years and still have not been everywhere.
We are based at Ashlett sailing Club Fawley Southampton.
This is a lovely spot with tidal moorings and dry-sail compound.
Ideal for a lifting keel boat that floats on a damp sponge.
Although we have to work around the tide we are straight out into the center of the Solent in minutes.
We drive down from South Northants in 2 hours.
I am not sure of current mooring vacancies but dry sailing should not be an issue.
This is a lovely "self Help" club with economic joining and moorings fees.
There are currently 3 Boats at Ashlett that belong to PSSC
https://ashlettsc.co.uk/ 

Happy sailing Ade & Pam

Chris Prowse
2018-03-07T22:29:32Z
Hello David,

I am aware that there are moorings available at Portchester Sailing Club. You would have to join the club. Some moorings are half tide and some don't dry at low tide - having a lifting keel gives you more options. You need a tender to get from the club compound to your mooring, I usually row. It takes about 40 minutes from slipping your lines to getting through Portsmouth Harbour Mouth into the Solent - or you can race/potter/stop at another club in the harbour.

http://portchestersc.org 

Membership Secretary can be e-mailed at membership@portchestersc.org

Good Luck. Chris and Helen
David Ellis
2018-03-09T22:37:39Z
Thank you all so much for some very useful suggestions. It has certainly given us food for thought and we will let you know where we end up. We look forward to meeting you to thank you in person in due course.
David Ellis
Mike Lockwood
2018-03-12T14:56:57Z
Hi. We have a mooring on the Beaulieu River. There is also a marina and a park for dry sailing. Lovely river! Not sure about prices.

Mike
Lucky Devil
P325
Mike Lockwood
Lucky Devil
Parker 325/35
David Ellis
2018-03-14T14:04:56Z
Thanks Mike. This area seems to be easily accessible to both owners. We will look into prices and availability.
David Ellis
David Ellis
2018-06-26T12:40:21Z
I am pleased to confirm that Saffie has now been safely relocated to the Solent after a most enjoyable voyage from the Helford a couple of weeks ago. Having visited a number of the suggested venues earlier we finally chose to join Portchester Sailing Club which combines friendly members, great facilities and good road access. We look forward to meeting Chris and Helen there in due course-if only to find out how they manage to row to and from the mooring if the wind and tide is against them. We tried it once but are now looking for an outboard for the dinghy.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice on this topic; it was most welcome.

David Ellis
peter lowry
2018-06-26T19:37:25Z
Hi
Great news , hope u are happy at Portchester
Look forward to seeing you at a rally or two through out the season
Peter