Aletta
2017-09-03T11:18:22Z
Hi, earlier this season I purchased Aletta (previously Muffin) Parker 31 no. 27. Im trying to work out how the spinnaker pole downhaul should be rigged. Ive cobbled something together and although it works it doesn't look right.

Id be grateful for anyones advice and preferably photos -thank you!
Im also looking to change the windows (as she has lost the aluminium framed ones) and change back to the original style -anyone done this job? or have any advice.
Other planned upgrades include a new spray hood, cockpit tent and all new graphics.
Anybody here have a cockpit tent? I have seen CJ marine advertise one but direct experience would be great!

Thanks

Simon
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2017-09-05T10:09:38Z
Hello Simon
Congratulations a good boat.
I was the third owner, buying her in a sorry state in Pwllheli about 8 or 9 years ago. I replaced all the headlining and sorted the water leaks but John Margarson wanted her for the Jester to the Azores and put me in touch with a 325 which is what I really wanted.
The windows have always been acrylic as far as I can tell, no idea why but 275's of that era also had acrylic windows, if you want to seal them or change them go to Eagle Boat windows they are extremely knowledgeable. I was going to through bolt all the acrylic windows using "Interscrews" as several of the self tappers had stripped but that never got done. You are welcome to buy the Interscrews from me if you want.
I never flew the spinnaker so cannot help you on that . Best of luck with her and anything you want to know, ask , I might remember.

Jan Newman
325/32
Blue Moon
Aletta
2017-09-10T15:40:03Z
Dear Jan,
thanks so much for getting back to me. Ive had a quote on the windows from Houdini; £1.6k. Im very keen on these having seen how good they look on another club members boat. Eagle tell me they don't make aluminium framed windows...
One other question, do you know if it is possible to adjust the temperature on the toolbox/fridge?
Thank you
Simon
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2017-09-12T16:53:06Z
Hi Simon
"Toolbox !" you have a huge cockpit locker for those. As I remember it, the coolbox was cooled by a thermoelectric cooler(peltier)and not terribly effectively. I would consider fitting a proper compressor driven fridge unit as most of the 325's have done. A problem will be neatly covering the hole in the side of the coolbox left by the removal of the thermoelectric unit. The compressor unit will probably fit beneath the sinks .

Jan
325/32
BlueMoon
Aletta
2017-09-12T18:28:56Z
Thanks Jan, that was my suspicion. Its pretty useless actually -just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I agree Ill be fitting a proper fridge unit to her, probably over winter. But a lot of other jobs to do first. She now has an AIS transceiver, new VHF, Raymarine instruments and a chart plotter....
The winter job list is already looking long!
BW
Simon
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2017-09-13T20:39:41Z
Hi Simon
John Margarson fitted a wind vane self steering system which he swore by. If you are considering any singlehanding that might be the way to go. He took it off before selling the boat but don't think he ever got around to using it again so might be worth trying to contact him. Sounds like you are doing great things with Aletta, when she is out of the water check the keel framework , I think Pat Morgan(Phun) had to make some repairs, anyway he has documented what he did somewhere on this website.

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon
Aletta
2017-09-14T12:46:13Z
Hi Jan,
Thanks. I mainly sail with my family but agree a windvane would be great. My friend has one on his Sadler 32 and I have crossed the Chanel with him using it a couple of times -over an autopilot I would say
It's advantages are its silent (compared to an autopilot) as well as the lack of power required.
I've been in touch with John who has offered to sell me some spinnakers and a cradle for Aletta which I will probably do, he hasn't mentioned the vane yet...
Whitelight
2017-10-04T17:15:50Z
Hi Simon,
I own Parker 31 White Light which is moored just up the river from you at Rossiters in Christchurch - we exchanged greetings a couple of times when we came past your mooring earlier in the year ! As you had no visible boat name I was not sure which P31 you have, but now all is clear.
We have owned White Light for 11 years, and done numerous improvements and modifications over that period. I would be happy to meet up some time and share experiences, and/or exchange information via email if there is anything I can help with.
On the issues you posted about:
-I resealed all our windows a couple of years ago, which already had the aluminium frames, so whilst very labour intensive this did not need many materials (just some seals and sealant). All now very waterproof which is a great improvement.
-spinnaker pole downhaul is fairly simple, sorry I don't have photos, and here is an explanation:
Ours has a block/pulley which is shackled onto eye in middle of foredeck. The snap shackle at end of rope clips on to eye in middle of wire running from end to end of spinnaker pole, then runs through the pulley, through the inner jib sheet lead (on top of coachroof by heads window) and then with other ropes through the deck organisers/leads into the outside clutch on port side. I have seen similar arrangements with a 2:1 ratio at the pole end, though I don't think this is really necessary, as the loads are not that great.
-graphics - I replaced the tape on side of coachroof 7 years ago, using material from SAC Graphics.
-sprayhood - thought about replacing this a few years ago, but seemed very expensive so just cleaned up the existing one and kept it going!
-fridge - ours only had a coldbox, so I increased the insulation and installed an electric compressor which fits easily under the sink, and provides reasonable cold running at around 2 amps.
Good luck, and happy to exchange further ideas.
Francis
Aletta
2017-10-05T08:06:10Z
Dear Francis,
thanks a lot for your kind reply. It would be great to come and have a look at Whitelight. Im very keen on making an auxiliary rudder like yours -I find the swing rudder limits my ability to get in and out of the harbour at low tide easily).
Thanks for the explanation re. the spin downhaul -I shall see if I can rig mine but may need to re-arrange things as I used the last spare clutch to bring the mainsail outhaul back to the cockpit. Again would be good to see how you have organised things -Im sure after 11 years you have worked out what works best.
Ted has kindly shown me around Ruby (and took me out for a sail) -this convinced me to buy Aletta.

Please do let me know any time you are planning on going down to your boat and perhaps give me a ring -I live near Rossiters so very easy for me to get there.

Thanks again
BW
Simon