barry.tiernan
2016-12-13T21:40:19Z
Hi

I wonder if anyone has issues getting the rudder up and down

If the rudder kicks up and I try to quickly pull it down, the line often slips off the bottom and wedges between the blade and stainless steel case, pull too hard and it jams, rudder sticks 1/2 way, unable to move up or down

Does anyone else get this problem, any solutions

Regards

Barry
Doug Rivers
2016-12-15T17:45:01Z
Hi,

Yep, do have the problem. I just take care pulling it down. I'm afraid a case of a problem shared hasn't halved it this time'!

Doug
barry.tiernan
2016-12-15T18:43:56Z
Thanks Doug

I was hoping there would be an easy answer

Its when you are in a "panic" to get the rudder down, it invariable jams

I will keep thinking about it

regards

Barry

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-12-19T11:18:08Z
Hello Barry
Yes its a problem ! I suppose if a groove were made in the rudderhead to try and keep the downhaul central there might be an improvement also make sure the rudder cheeks are as tight as they can be on the rudderhead without impeding its movement so there is less room for the downhaul to jamb in .

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon
barry.tiernan
2016-12-19T15:45:28Z
Thanks Jan

I will try to use a wider diameter rope and was also thinking of sticking a strip of Velcro along the top edge that might stop the rope slipping???, anything is wort a try

Did you gety any info on instruments pods

I will be upgrading a chartplotter/Radar/AIS and I was hoping to have the chartplotter as some sort of detachable unit. I am on a mooring and there are some sticky fingers around

Barry
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-12-20T17:45:02Z
Hi Barry
Yes I did didn't I.
Do you have twin instrument pods each with space for two instruments on the binnacle tube over the compass ?
I have and have just made a bracket to hold a Garmin which attaches to the pod. The Garmin can just be unscrewed to remove.
If you do have this set up I can get a couple of pictures .

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon
barry.tiernan
2016-12-20T22:55:30Z
Hi Jan

I have a rectangular pod which has a Wind instrument, Autohelm, small chart plotter/AIS and the keel up/down switch.

All in a straight line

The pod wraps around the tubes as well

Above the pod the tubes have the angle bend

I was hoping to lower this pod and then have a single detachable pod above with the new screen/chartplotter, thing of Raymarine 9 inch

I hope to set up a detachable plug to the back of the lower pod, so when on the mooring, I can take the top pod home

Going to boat show to talk it over with Raymarine

None of the companies are "Keen" on one offs, although They must be vulnerable to pinching, and cost in the region of £1500, easy money.

Any thoughts on the matter would be very helpful,

Barry
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-12-21T13:15:16Z
Hi Barry
As I said I have two pods, one each side of the loop, to one of these I have fixed a one off bracket which was made up for me, to this I attach the Garmin using its demount-able screw attachment.I was reluctant to occupy the top of the loop as it is useful as a panic grab handle in certain conditions. Do you have room below your pod ?
Will get picture for you.

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon

barry.tiernan
2016-12-21T16:31:18Z
Hi Jan

Agree with the panic grab , be very helpful to get a photo

Barry
Halend
2018-10-05T21:00:43Z
I had a similar issue of the rudder pull down rope sliding between the rudder stock and the blade on a different yacht (Evolution) and solved it by creating a line that was webbing spliced to rope. The webbing stayed in place and if it slipped did not jam the blade.