Floyd Raser
2016-10-24T22:20:04Z
Wakey Wakey Forumites!

I now have Alea at Rutland and have become a veteran of around 4 hours sailing experience. Whoopy do!

I have always had the idea to change some of the ropes but I never knew there so many different types available.
The ropes controlling the traveller have jumped out of the cleats on a couple of occasions and I wonder what is the best rope for their replacement?
And should I consider replacing the cleats as well, or is there a better set up to go for?

Traveller Rope.jpg

Click to View Image91 View(s)

Main Block.jpg

Click to View Image88 View(s)

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Floyd.
philip linsell
2016-10-26T19:15:06Z
Hi Floyd
It's a fair few years since I had my 22, Tulena.
These fine little craft have now reached an age where it is difficult to see what might be original and what may have been altered or replaced, many times.
I would think your old jammers on the track are probably worn out and replacement is the best option.
On the main sheet the cams on the block are usually replaceable but yours look to be riveted, so drilling out and bolting could be an option if you can find clams to fit.
When it comes to rope sizes I worked on the basis of what felt right in the hand for the job, modern ropes are very strong and small diameters will be ample in strength, but cut in to your hands when pulling under load.
Philip
Floyd Raser
2016-10-28T21:19:09Z
Hi Philip,
Thank you for the reply.
As an ageing beginner I did wonder if the cleats wear out enough to need replacement so they will be added to the list of winter to do's.
The main sheet block seems to perform OK with the inland, relatively gentle breezes I restrict myself to.

I think I'll invest in a pair of quality cleats.
Floyd