Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2015-10-28T17:06:10Z
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the dimensions are for a new tiller and what it should be made out off.

I have an early Seal 28 and find the present Tiller a bit long. Wondering if it’s longer than it should be.

I believe the original tiller’s for Seals were made from Ash can anyone confirm that before I go and buy a piece

Ray
Neil Sinclair
2015-12-05T17:46:52Z
Mine is made of mahogany. I agree, it is quite long - but if you've got a bit too much sail up there can be quite a pull in it!

Neil
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Geoff Harwood
2015-12-06T11:06:48Z
Ash is good if it doesn't go into a sleeve or socket. It has all the right properties except that it rots if it is allowed to stay wet for long periods as in a socket.
Neil Sinclair
2015-12-30T11:45:16Z
Put some load on my tiller and it broke! Boat's laid up ashore, but I thought I might just lean on the tiller to check it's OK - don't want to inconvenience the rescuers. It failed where the mahogany sockets into the rudder head fitting. The wood looks OK, I have kept it varnished but it has a really mouldy smell. So I need a new piece of wood, now, too!
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Neil Sinclair
2015-12-31T17:04:05Z
tiller.jpg

Click to View Image57 View(s)

Here is a rough sketch of my (now broken) tiller. Note the step where the wood entered the stainless steel rudder head. This can cause a stress point I'm told, so I will try not to incorporate it into my new tiller.

Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'