Ken Surplice
2014-06-04T20:59:51Z
Wind, waves and early morning tides - you don't have to worry about any of these when you join me for a dinghy expedition to the upper reaches of the River Hamble. This is the same day as the association's round the island race. No need to say "I'm not a very good racer". Instead just reply "Sorry, I'm already booked on the Hamble rally. Darn". The upper Hamble is a beautiful and tranquil gem of a place. Peaceful, wide and appealing, with an occasional Kingfisher buzzing around if you are lucky, your only concern will be to check if the program involves a pub. Quite possibly.

Getting started - meet at Deacon's Yard, by Force 4 at Bursledon, opposite Swanwick Marina (ex Moodys). Find P275 Vol-au-vent on berth D2. High water is around 5.30pm. You could come up for lunch, perhaps visiting the Jolly Sailor in addition to drinks on board Vol-au-vent. We'll set off upriver in our dinghies around 3pm.

Option 1 - if our mix of participating boats and engines permits an extended trip to the Horse and Jockey  at Curbridge , we could head up there and go for an afternoon pint and picnic.

Option 2 - if we are feel like venturing a more modest distance, we'll land up-river and have a barbecue on the east shore. If we meet the same bulls as last year, we know they are shy and retiring. We don't know what they taste like. Perhaps someone could oblige.

You will need:
  • A dinghy or canoe

• An engine and fuel or paddles and muscles

• Wellies or beach shoes

• Your picnic or bbq and blanket

Please let me know
  • If you are coming

• If you have an engine for your dinghy

• If your preference is for a trip to Curbridge or a shorter dash to the bbq area

• If you would like me to arrange an overnight stay for your yacht in Deacon's Yard. Last year the yard was its usual olde worlde self, and Deacon's kindly did not charge our guests. Over winter the whole place has been transformed into a very pleasant marina. Come and try it - the home of Vol-au-vent, Abacus and Sunflower.

Looking forward to a day of peace and tranquility,
Ken 01256 476331 ken.surplice@btinternet.com

Yes I'm coming!
Name:
Yacht:
Mobile phone:
I prefer longer trip to Curbridge / shorter BBQ trip: longer / shorter
I am interested in berthing on Saturday night: yes / no

Ken
Ken Surplice
2014-06-30T21:32:15Z
Hi Folks,

So far we have interest from Vol-au-vent, Sophia, Bonaire and I think Penlu (as mentioned at our "we will survive" barbecue at Newtown IOW last weekend). The forecast suggests a breezy day and showers. Accordingly I have a cunning plan.

Let's
- rendezvous at Deacons Yard from 1pm for drinks and pontoon BBQ. We are on pontoon D2.
- set off upstream around 3pm as planned
- skip the river barbecue and head up to the pub at Curbridge

Please let me know if you are coming so we can cater for you at the lunchtime BBQ.

Thanks - Ken
Ken
Ken Surplice
2014-07-03T15:50:56Z
Adding Nosey and Frith to partipants. Now expecting Vol-au-vent, Sophia, Bonaire, Nosey and Frith, plus any latecomers who wish to join. Reminder:
  • BBQ on pontoon with Vol-au-vent, 1pm, Deacons Yard, berth D2

• 3pm, set off upstream with tide to Curbridge pub

• return on ebb tide

Ken
Ken Surplice
2014-07-04T13:26:01Z
All systems go! It looks like the rain should clear by lunchtime to give us a good afternoon. Can Y Mor may also join. For those coming by boat, I will contact you later on Friday with your allocated berths. See you afloat on Saturday.
Ken
Ken
Ken Surplice
2014-07-06T15:36:23Z
Mission accomplished!

Visiting Deacons Boatyard were Nosey, Bonaire, Frith and Grace. Coming by car, or already there: Sophia, Vol-au-vent. I do believe this is the first rally held in the new look boatyard and it was good to see our battle flags in my home port. As the regulator on my gas BBQ was not regulating, we had a pontoon lunch powered by boat oven and grill. Being safety conscious, there were no corks in sight. We used screw caps instead 🙂.

After some outboard engine troubles, we set off up the river, a little ahead of the planned schedule. The two canoes (Bonaire, Vol-au-vent) made excellent progress downwind and with the current. Motoring dinghies just about kept up until they had to switch to oars when the water became a bit thin. It took about an hour to reach the pub. Yes, we were a bit early and it was neaps. Best to go up on a lunchtime high instead of acquiring one via beer. Anyway we had decent weather all day except for the last five minutes as we approached the pub at Curbridge when we received some light rain. Nothing to worry about. The pub was busy but we found space and were made very welcome. The owners are considering bank work, in both senses, to make it easier to get ashore.

We returned to our tenders and canoes just as the tide turned. Top marks to Bonaire who, in their canoe, battled against the stiff headwind and did the entire journey by arm power. Top marks also go to Sophia for lending me an engine. More top marks go to crew Grace who put in some extended rowing after both their dinghies ran out of juice on the way back. Linda also gets her explorer badge for visiting Botley on the way back. OK - everyone gets top marks!

Thanks to John, Martin, Linda, Kevin, Felicity, Pam, Adrian, Jenny, Peter and Sue for making it a great day despite the weather outlook.

Until next time - pip pip - Ken
Ken
johniow
2014-07-09T09:28:04Z
... and top marks to Ken, Sue and helpers for their pop-up pontoon party! and laying on that magnificent steam train on Saturday morning.
Deacons is still recognisable, and just as friendly and laid-back - but a little more expensive ...
The Horse and Jockey arrival timing gave crews a chance to demonstrate their athleticism! and anyway, it made for an easy clamber back into the assorted craft after the liquid lunch of J2Os (probably the best way round).

Great fun! and thanks to all for good company.
Nosey - Parker 325-26