David Bamber
2013-04-30T12:44:36Z
Parker and Seal Sailing Association

2013 ‘Round the Isle of Wight Race

Notice of Race (REVISED)

Introduction

The 2013 PSSA RIOW Race will take place on Saturday 18 May 2013.

THE START TIME HAVE BEEN REVISED FOLLOWING CONSULTATION WITH THOSE MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE CURRENTS AND WITH A VIEW OF THE LIKELY WIND CONDITIONS

Details of two courses are provided but only one will be used on the day. The Race Instructions in the Members’ Handbook will be used.

There is no need to fill in any application forms, just turn up on the day. However, participants must state their intention to race before the start together with any information required by the Race Committee to establish handicaps. Refer to the Race Instructions in the Members’ Handbook for details. It is preferable for participants to email the Race Officer (David Bamber) with data beforehand. However, an intention to race may be provided on the day by radio.

The channel used for communicating with the Race Officer will be channel M1 (P1)but Channel 16 will also be monitored for those who do not have M1.

The countdown to start will use a GPS time indication.

There will be two fleets: Fleet 1 will start first (PY 1000 and above) and Fleet 2 (PY1000 and below). Each fleet will be scored separately. Refer to page 66 of the 2013 Members’ Handbook.

In the event that 8 yachts or less take part, all yachts will start at the later of the two published start times.

Finishing times should be declared to within 24 hours. This may be done by radio or mobile phone (David Bamber 07761155818) or email (bamberdvd@sky.com.

Course 1: Offshore Course, Lymington to Bembridge.

Start: The starting line will be between the mast of the Committee boat and Colten Yellow Racing Buoy situated at 50 degrees 43.83 minutes lat., 01 degrees 30.86 long. It is located 1,000m SSW of the first set of channel markers marking entry to Lymington. The buoy is designated 2C on the ‘Solent Mark Codes 2013 – In Zones’ designation 2C.

Fleet 1 start 08.30 BST

Fleet 2 Start 09.00 BST

Course: Lymington Start Line, Bridge Buoy to Port, St Catherine’s Point to port, W Princes West cardinal to starboard, Bembridge Ledge East Cardinal to port, to finish line.

The finish line will be a line between the mast at the centre of St Helen’s Fort (Bembridge) and the sunken yellow marker located at N 50 degrees 42’28”, W 1degree 05’.01” (Bembridge Tide Gauge.) Should the tide gauge indicate insufficient depth then the finishing line is extended Northwards beyond the tide gauge i.e. yachts may finish to the north or south of the tide gauge. Competitors should pas as close to the tide gauge as possible. Competitors shall record their own finishing time.

Course 2: Inshore Course, Lymington to Bembridge.

In the event that there is too much or too little wind the inshore course will be used.Start: The starting line will be between the mast of the Committee boat and Berthon Yellow Racing Buoy situated at N50 degrees 44.20 minutes lat., W 01 degrees 29.22 long. It is located 0.7nm ENE of the first set of channel markers marking entry to Lymington. The buoy is designated 2F on the ‘Solent Mark Codes 2013 – In Zones’.

Fleet 1: start 10.30 BST

Fleet 2: start 11.00 BST

Course: Start Line, Isle of Wight to starboard. The finish line will be a line between the mast at the centre of St Helen’s Fort (Bembridge) and the sunken yellow marker located at N 50 degrees 42’28”, W 1 degree 05’.01” (Bembridge Tide Gauge.) Should the tide gauge indicate insufficient depth then the finishing line is extended Northwards beyond the tide gauge i.e. yachts may finish to the north or south of the tide gauge.

Competitors should pass as close to the tide gauge as possible. Competitors shall record their own finishing time.

I will be available Friday night in Lymington to sound opinions on the most suitable course. Sea Lady cannot take part due to a wrong replacement fuel tank being supplied! Alternative arrangements are being made for a committee boat. If anyone needs a crew please advise since it would be nice to take part!

David Bamber

David Bamber
philip linsell
2013-05-09T22:25:08Z
David

Do you have any interest in the race?

What arrangements have you for Friday night and Sat after the race?

Weather permitting I would like to race, provided there is enogh interest.

Philip Linsell

David Bamber
2013-05-10T15:31:29Z
Philip,

I have not made any specific arrangements for the Friday or the Saturday. My plan is to sail Sea Lady from Cowes to Lymington on the Thursday. I have a meeting in the Midlands on the Friday. My friend Gordon Spence who has been on many club rallies may be in attendance until I return (About 10pm). I will provide him with a briefing until I arrive.

No one so far has said that they will definitely be coming. This is not surprising since I have tried to make the entry as easy as possible - just turn up on the day.

Since I cannot get to Lymington until late Friday I cannot organise anything. As for Bembridge, I can only suggest a BBQ at Duver Marina if sufficient interest is shown.

I am not working next week so I can arrange pretty much anything if interest is shown.

David Bamber

David Bamber
philip linsell
2013-05-11T22:44:45Z
Jonathan Houston has informed me that he is keen to race, but needs some competition to make getting the crew together etc.

Is there anyone out there intending to race?

Philip Linsell

Mike Lockwood
2013-05-13T00:50:39Z
Lucky Devil is hoping to race but with a depleted crew.

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Kerenza
2013-05-13T13:15:02Z
I am pleased to say that Kerenza will be entering the 2013 ROIW. We should have a crew of 4 and will rest up in Mercury on Friday night making an appearance on the line on Saturday morning. Good Luck all.
Kerenza
2013-05-13T13:25:37Z
Having now read the first message! I thought this year we were starting from Cowes? I will give you a call to confirm.

Jeremy Parsons - Kerenza

James Hamilton
2013-05-14T18:29:51Z
Sandy Lady (a 235) is hoping to race weather permitting. I have one crew organised, will probably launch Friday afternoon Beaulieu and spend the night at Yarmouth or possibly anchored in Keyhaven.

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg