Ken Surplice
2012-05-28T20:57:28Z
Hello Seals,

The Jubilee rally in Weymouth gets underday next weekend. The weather outlook for next week is surprisingly good. I think we'll make it this year!

Interested parties so far:
Shiraz, Vol-a-vent, Can-Y-Mor, Niquadi, Sophia, Speedwell.

The long range forecast suggests easterly winds on Saturday and perhaps Sunday. Sophia will return mid week so is keen to reach Weymouth quickly, especially with a following wind. Therefore I am leaning towards a) get to Yarmouth or Newtown on Friday night followed by Saturday morning direct to Weymouth. Others may choose to overnight in Studland as winds will be light.

As mentioned in the newsletter, we will have a dinner in the Ghurka buffet restaurant, day to be chosen after we arrive.

See you in Weymouth - Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Ken Surplice
2012-06-06T23:41:10Z
We're back! Weymouth week turned into Weymouth day, almost.

TO WEYMOUTH We made it to Yarmouth IOW around 2230 on Friday night. Speedwell arrived very shortly afterwards. Although conditions were calm overnight, the outside buoys we had chosen were quite rolly. The next morning we set off down the Needles Channel. Speedwell was close behind us. Bonaire and Sophia were a little behind, having set off from Newtown and Gosport. Niquaydi set off directly from the Hamble. The following wind was light at first but increased steadily through the day resulting in probably my first sail all the way from the Solent to Weymouth. The swell made two of our crew quite unwell but at least we were romping along. Unfortunately there was little to see. Apart from Anvil Point to St Albans, the land was obscured by mist and cloud. Weymouth bay was quite busy with Olympic practice, with small dinghies a long way east of Portland. We dropped sails and entered Weymouth. The Cove was not too busy and we were third out in the raft. With Shiraz electing to stay in the Solent, we had five boats in Weymouth: Bonaire, Sophia, Speedwell, Niquaydi and Vol-au-vent. It had not rained duiring the voyage but rain arrived as soon as we berthed.

IN WEYMOUTH There was plenty of atmosphere as bands and stalls lined the harbour. Alas we did not make it to the beach but we did enjoy a sizeable water procession by many local craft looking splendid with their bunting and dress flags. We could see that the weather was becoming unsettled for the following week and started a twice daily routine of checking the forecast. Eventually we decided to depart Weymouth on Monday lunch time, instead of spending the week there as I had hoped. On Sunday night we enojoyed the Gurkha restaurant with our party of 18.

RETURN leaving Bonaire in port, we departed at 1330 for Lymington. TO be continued...

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken