David Bamber
2012-04-16T21:36:33Z
May Bank Holiday Rally in the Far East

I guess a lot of you are watching the weather forecast closely for the weekend.
At the moment I have 4 yachts express an interest in the rally. The weather for Saturday is wet am and rather cold and with a NE wind. So for those coming from the west it may be a bit of a long motor to Chichester harbour. The NE wind on Sunday does not help. But things can change.

As a fall back we may go to Elephant Yard for the rally with a BBQ upstream just north of the A27 (Suggested by Peter Lowry). I will take a decision Thursday PM and notify all interested parties during Friday.

Some club members in the bar Arun yacht Club may speak of sailing around Selsey Bill as though they had rounded Cape Horn. Maybe members of the Parker and Seal Sailing Association view leaving the Solent on the trek eastwards the same way.

Saturday we meet at East Head for a barbecue (HW 11.41 BST, LW 17.11 BST). We can start cooking about 18.00 hrs whenever you start feeling hungry. Don’t forget to pack the dinghy.
Sunday morning we leave for the journey east. Slack water at Selsey Bill is at 11.00 BST. Ideally we should depart East Head not much later than 7am to allow enough time to get around ‘The Bill’. GPS’s should be programmed to ‘Boulder and Street’ in the Looe Channel. Mixon beacon is visible from Boulder and Street. Keep a half mile or so south of the beacon and then onwards on the last leg to Littlehampton.

HW at Littlehampton is at 12.02 BST. But the current turns about 2 hours before high water. Access to Littlehampton is about HW+/- 2 ½ hours. The total journey length is about 20 nM. Entry to the port can be a bit tricky due to the strong cross-current at the entrance. Since it is a spring tide it is advisable not to leave too late or entry may be challenging for the smaller yachts!

Bearths have been booked on the visitors’ pontoon beneath the Harbour Office (to starboard on entry to the port). Alternatively bearths are available at Arun yacht Club at £10 per night. A river taxi is available between Arun Yacht Club and Littlehampton. Alternatively the town is just 30 minutes walk from the Club.

Sunday lunchtime we will be treated to a meal at Arun Yacht Club (my home yacht club). Two and three course meals are available in prices ranging from will £12 to £20. Orders will be taken Saturday pm at the latest.

We will partake of the regular Sunday menu.
Showers are be available at the Yacht Club. The yacht Club is due to have 11 rallies this year alone so experienced staff is on hand.
On Bank Holiday Monday HW is at 12.53 so yachts may depart from 10.30 onwards.
In case of more details needed please contact me (David Bamber) on 07761155818 / 01903764881 / 01252 291875 and bamberdvd@sky.com.

David Bamber
David Bamber
GeoffTurner
2012-05-04T16:05:43Z
Update Fri 4 May 1600

David Bamber's internet router has blown up, so he apologies for not updating sooner. He's currently phoning round.

The rally is on.

Meet at East Head as planned, but he's trying to see if there's room on the Itchenor pontoons, as East Head isn't ideal in a NE.

On Sun, he's heading back to Littlehampton and would like some company!

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn