Ken Surplice
2009-05-08T21:10:01Z
Greetings. At the end of May we have two South Coast rallies:
• Bank holiday weekend - Chichester and Bembridge
• School half term week – Weymouth

Our original plan was to run them together but we’ve decided to make a change and run these as two separate rallies. The reason for this is so that the Weymouth cruise is less of a race against time and weather. If you want to do both, you can of course do so.

CHICHESTER-BEMBRIDGE = TIM REEDER
Peter Lowry has taken care of bookings. Now Tim Reeder step in to run the Bank Holiday weekend. Saturday/Sunday/Bank holiday Monday June 23-24-25 – Chichester and Bembridge. See the other topic in this forum.

WEYMOUTH CRUISE = KEN SURPLICE
I will take over the Weymouth week organisation as I have a vested interest to make it to Weymouth after being defeated by weather in the last two years. Besides, my mother lives there and she is expecting me!

The destination is The Cove in Weymouth harbour where we’ll raft up. Just pass the impressive life boat in the harbour and you’ll find us just ahead on the left. Our very own P275 Vol-au-vent will be leaving for Weymouth as early as possible. If we can arrive in time, we can enjoy the madness of the Bank Holiday Monday trawler race. If you’ve not seen it before, it’s in the harbour and starts with a water fight but using manly trawler deck pumps instead of miserable plastic water pistols. Oh yes, watch out for flour bombs and flying fish bits too.

If you want to cruise in company, you’ll see our plan below. If you want to sail independently, just meet up in Weymouth. For communications, my yacht Vol-au-vent will be listening on channel 8 and you can call Sue on 07986 986 398. As with all rallies, if you want to be kept informed, let the organiser (me!) know a) yacht name b) skipper name c) mobile phone number, and I will keep you updated by text message. This is a great way to stay connected in the event that the weather becomes a problem and plans have to change.

Tentative plan for Vol-au-vent
• Friday night – Hamble to Yarmouth, ebb ~10pm
• Saturday– Yarmouth to Studland Bay, ebb ~11am
• Sunday – Studland Bay to Weymouth, ebb ~midday
times are rough as I have not checked them yet
Please do join the Weymouth Rally. Let me know if you are coming and I will look out for you. If you already informed Peter Lowry, that’s fine as we will share the information.

See you in Weymouth?

Ken Surplice, P275/25 Vol-au-vent

Ken
Ken Surplice
2009-05-21T09:05:20Z
WEYMOUTH UPDATE

Hi Folks. The weather may give us a chance to make Weymouth this year, and get back!! Forecasts are changing but seem to be for the better.

-Cleo is going direct to Weymouth on Friday, so if you arrive early, look out for Peter.

-Vol-au-vent (me) will probably depart Yarmouth IOW on Saturday morning and go direct to Weymouth. Winds should be SE. Sunday winds are likely NE or N and modest, so wind either day should be just fine. However when it comes to sun and rain, all forecasts suggest a super saturday but I see conflicting reports about sun/rain on Sunday. I think we'll play safe and go for a long Weymouth-direct Saturday and actually *enjoy* the sailing [:)]. On the other hand, if the forecast for Sunday sun improves, we will stop over in Studland Saturday night.

Hope to see you during the week!

Yours indecisively,
but anticipating shorts and sun cream,
Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken