Sandwort
2020-06-25T11:44:00Z
We have a small problem with Redshank's keel and need to replace the delrin pad at the base of the anchor slot. Does anyone have a template or dimensions for this, to help us get started? Many thanks, Dennis and Anne. Redshank P275/19
DickG
2020-07-26T16:50:22Z
Hi, I haven't been paying enough attention to the Forum! I assume you mean the pad at the aft end of the keel that is recessed into the hull bottom. I replaced mine a few years ago. I bought some 20mm thick delrin sheet. I had some problems with the captive nuts that the retaining screws screwed into which meant I had to cut the captive nuts out. Rather than just glassing in new captive nuts I made a 5mm s/s retaining plate that fitted around the back of the keel with tapped holes in the right positions, and epoxied that in. Making the pad was a bit of a challenge, I made clear plastic templates of the top and bottom of the pad, and used a profile gauge a lot. I may still have the templates I made - but it would be better to make ones for your pad. Once I had rougher out the pad, it took a lot of offering-up, sanding off and repeating to make it fit.

I may have some photos if you are interested and haven't sorted it out yet.

Regards

Dick
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Sandwort
2020-07-26T17:47:56Z
Thanks Dick. We believe the boat yard that were working on our keel have solved the problem now and have inserted a new piece of Delrin.
Anne and Dennis Kell