Ken Surplice
2019-08-18T21:31:16Z
Introduction and who's whom
Our annual association race around the Isle of Wight is approaching. If you have not yet press-ganged your crew and polished your bottom, now is a great time to start. Talking of starting, I have been asked to perform the role of committee boat this year. This is a great way to enjoy all the social elements of the race without actually racing, so naturally I agreed. Meanwhile, although the race has not yet started, it seems that I have been doing a great job so I have been promoted to race officer as well. It is rather daunting but luckily Nigel Walbank has done all the preparation and brain work already. A big thank you to Nigel, who is highly skilled in these affairs. Alas Nigel and Liz are in-between boats. Accordingly I have been asked to handle proceedings. The good news is that everyone else now is twenty times more likely to take line honours if Nigel is not racing. Don't miss this opportunity. If you are not a racer at heart, no worries - join in and simply sail around the island at your leisure and enjoy drinks and dinner in company afterwards.

Key points
  • This year we are starting near Cowes and finishing in Bembridge

• Start times are Class 1 0755 BST; Class 2 0825 BST

• Submit your race entry, guidance in next post, before midnight on Tuesday 3rd September

• On Friday night, as participants will be arriving at different times and most likely will stay in different locations before the start, please make your own pre-race berthing and evening arrangements. In any case, you will probably want an early night.

• On Saturday, we will get together in Bembridge for post-race recovery, drinks and food.

The following posts on this forum will show you notice of race, sailing instructions, how to enter and details of the social elements of the race.

Happy competing and I look forward to meeting you on the day (I'll be in the well fendered boat).
Ken, Vol-au-vent P275
Ken
Ken Surplice
2019-08-18T21:47:35Z
NOTICE OF RACE - PSSA ROUND-ISLE-OF-WIGHT RACE 2019
SEPTEMBER 7th
Cowes to Bembridge

1 RULES
1.1 The race will be governed by the rules as defined in The Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020
1.2 RYA prescription Appendix G [Identification on sails] shall not apply.
1.3 Rule 42.1 is amended to permit the use of automatic steering devices.

2 ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY
2.1 The Race is open to Seal and Parker lift keel yachts. Owners or representatives are to be members of the PSSA.
2.2 Enter by contacting Ken Surplice at 24 Norton Ride, Lychpit, Basingstoke RG24 8SF
Tel: 01256 476331 ken.surplice@btinternet.com
2.3 Closing date for entry is Tuesday 3rd Sept early registration of interest in entering would be much appreciated to aid in planning. Late entries may be accepted at the discretion of the organiser.
3 FEES there is no entry fee but individual entrants will be responsible for their own berthing fees.
4 SCHEDULE
4.1 Date September 7th 2019
4.2 Scheduled time for the warning signal
Class 1 0755 BST
Class 2 0825 BST
5 SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
5.1 The sailing instructions are published in the PSSA Member’s Handbook 2019. Amendments will be posted on the PSSA website.
6 CLASSES
6.1 Class 1 shall comprise yachts with a handicap of 1000 or greater as determined by the handicap method published in the PSSA Member’s Handbook 2019.
Class 2 shall comprise yachts with a handicap of 999 or less as determined by the handicap method published in the PSSA Member’s Handbook 2019.

7 COURSES
7.1 Starting line between the committee boat and Royal London YC buoy (Solent Mark Code 4K) position 50 46.15N 01 16.65W
7.2 Finishing line between the committee boat (stb. End) and Bembridge Tide Gauge position 50 42.46N 01 05.01W (port)
In the absence of the Committee boat, competitors are to take their own finishing times when the Tide Gauge bears 245°magnetic.
8 BERTHING
Arrangements have been made for berthing in Bembridge at the Duver Marina (recommended) or drying out on the beach for Saturday night. An evening meal will be arranged for all.
No berthing arrangements have been made for the Friday night.

Thanks and credit to Nigel Walbank for preparing this notice
Ken
Ken Surplice
2019-08-18T22:03:59Z
STANDARD SAILING INSTRUCTIONS 2019

1 RULES
1.1 No member of the PSSA is authorized to provide on behalf of the PSSA any statement as to the suitability of the yacht or its crew to take part in any race. Responsibility for safety remains with the yacht’s owner or skipper.
1.2 Races shall be governed by the RYA Racing Rules of sailing 2017 – 2020 except as modified by these Sailing Instructions, the Notice of Race or its Addenda.
1.3 A yacht will be deemed to be taking part in the race provided its entry has been accepted and it has crossed the starting line within the allowable starting time.
1.4 Night racing will not take place unless stated in the Notice of Race.
1.5 Rule 42.1 of the Racing Rules of Sailing is hereby amended to permit the use of automatic steering devices.
1.6 No declaration form will be required to be signed after the race.
1.7 Scoring will be based on the Racing Rules of Sailing Appendix A – Scoring Section A3. Scoring is based on elapsed time corrected according to the PY number for the yacht. The PSSA PY numbers shall be used.
2 NOTICES TO COMPETITORS
2.1 Notices to competitors will available from the Committee Boat before the race. The Committee Boat will display a Blue flag.
2.2 The Committee Boat will display the International Code flag L by way of indication of a change in either the Sailing Instructions or the Notice of Race. It shall be the responsibility of the skipper to obtain new instructions.
2.3 The Race Committee shall determine whether a race will be run or not, and which course (where there is a choice of courses) to use.
2.4 Where more than one course is indicated in the Notice of Race, the Committee Boat shall display information and/or communicate by radio, the course to be sailed.
2.5 The Sailing Area will be shown on an addendum to the Notice of Race.
3 STARTING PROCEDURE
3.1 The starting procedure shall be as Rule 26 in the Racing Rules of Sailing as follows:
Warning: 1 sound five minutes before start, class flag displayed.
Preparatory: 1 sound four minutes before start, preparatory flag displayed.
One-minute: 1 long sound, preparatory flag removed.
Starting: 1 sound, class flag removed.
3.2 The starting line will be the mast of the Committee Boat and a buoy stated in the Notice of Race.
3.3 A yacht shall not start later than 30 minutes after the starting time.
3.4 In accordance with Rule 29.1 of the Racing Rules of Sailing, when a yacht which is on the course side of the start line before the start of the race, two short sounds and an X flag shall be displayed.
3.5 In accordance with Rule 29.2 of the Racing Rules of Sailing, general recall will be sounded comprising two short signs and a First Substitute flag displayed. The First Substitute flag shall continue to be displayed until the Warning signal for the new start is made.
4 FINISHING AND RETIREMENT
4.1 The finishing line shall be the mast of the Committee Boat and a buoy identified in the Notice of Race.
4.2 A retiring yacht shall communicate its withdrawal from the race to the Committee Boat as soon as possible preferably by radio.

Portsmouth Yardstick Handicaps & Allowances

The following PY numbers will be allocated for all PSSA races held during 2019:

1150 Seal Sinbad outboard engine drop keel standard rig
1140 Seal 22 outboard engine drop keel standard rig
1095 Seal 28 inboard engine fixed 2 blade prop drop keel short rig
1080 Seal 850 inboard engine fixed 2 blade prop drop keel short rig
1065 Seal 850 inboard engine fixed 2 blade prop drop keel tall rig
1063 Parker 21 outboard engine drop keel standard rig
1030 Parker 235 outboard engine drop keel standard rig
976 26/27/275/285 inboard engine folding prop drop keel standard rig
950 Parker 31 inboard engine folding prop drop keel standard rig
940 Parker 325/335 inboard engine folding prop drop keel standard rig

The following allowances will be applied to boats not conforming to the above specifications:-
a) Boat with no spinnaker (declared by 1800hrs on the day before event to Race Officer):- + 40.
b) Boat with cruising chute but no spinnaker (declared by 1800 hrs on the day before to Race Officer): + 20.
c) Allowance for different engine/propeller configurations:-
From To
OB IBF IB2 IB3
OD 0 +10 +20 +40
IBF -10 0 +10 +30
IB2 -20 -10 0 +20
IB3 -40 -30 -20 0
OB = outboard engine
IBF = inboard engine with folding propeller
IB2 = inboard engine with fixed 2 blade propeller
IB3 = inboard engine with fixed 3 blade propeller

d) Allowance for different keel configurations:-
From To
F D R
F 0 -10 0
D +10 0 +10
R 0 +10 0
F = fixed keel
D = drop keel adjustable while racing
R = retractable keel fixed down whilst racing

e) Boats having other variations to the relevant class standard may have the above PY numbers amended at the absolute discretion of the sailing committee.

To calculate corrected time:-
a) Convert elapsed time of the boat into seconds.
b) Divide elapsed time (in seconds) by PY number allocated to the boat and multiply by 1000.
c) Convert result, (in seconds), back into hours, minutes and seconds to arrive at corrected time.

Ken
Ken Surplice
2019-08-22T11:13:57Z
How to register, berth, eat and drink

Here you can find:
- How to enter the round-the-island race
- Post-race berthing information
- Post-race dinner information
- How to keep in touch on race day

If you are not racing but would like to join us in Bembridge for purely social reasons you will be very welcome. Please contact me so I can reserve a berth and dinner for you.

How to enter
Please email me at ken.surplice a t BTinternet.com (change the 'a t' to @) with the following information
  • Name of skipper

• Name of yacht

• Number of crew

• Yacht class

• Sail number

• Mobile phone for contact on the day

• Email address for updates

• Berth required in Bembridge Saturday night?

• Number of places for dinner in pub

• Any dietary requirements?

• Yacht configuration declaration

Sail configuration - pick one
can be declared to me up to 6pm on Friday before the race
  • Spinnaker

• Cruising chute but no spinnaker

Propulsion - pick one
  • OB outboard engine

• IBF inboard engine with folding propeller

• IB2 inboard engine with fixed 2 blade propeller

• IB3 Inboard engine with fixed 3 blade propeller

Keel - pick one
  • F fixed keel

• D drop keel adjustable while racing

• R retractable keel fixed down whilst racing

Post-race berthing
After the race we will berth in Bembridge Marina. Once you register, a berth will be reserved for you. There is no need to make your own booking. If you need to contact the marina for any reason call 01983 872828 or VHF channel 80. The Duver, St Helens, Isle of Wight PO33 1YB. There will be a rally rate.

Post-race dinner
http://www.thevinesthelens.co.uk/ . We aim to arrive at 7pm to eat at 7.30pm.

Race day communications
The committee boat, yacht Vol-au-vent P25/25, will be listening on channel 8.
You can also call my mobile phone. To avoid spam calls, I will not show the number here so please find it in the members handbook and in the confirmatory email I will send when you register.

Thank you for your interesting in our annual race. I look forward to cheering you across the finish line.
Ken
Vol-au-vent P275
Ken
Ken Surplice
2019-09-05T16:33:09Z
Hello again Parkers and Seals,

Round-the-island race news

The weather outlook is for settled conditions but with enough wind to get around the course. Here I’ve assemble all key race information in one place.

What’s new
1. An additional entrant
2. Start times by yacht
3. Clarified and simplified starting procedure

Entrants

Here’s the line-up:
• 21 * 1 Saffie
• 235 * 1 Zephyr
• 26 * 4 Mya, Lesa, Rascal, Fra
• 27 * 1 Frith
• 275 * 3 Shockwave, Abacus, Delphine
• 325 * 2 Tilikum, Kerenza
Total 12

Start times
• Class 1, 0755, handicap of 1,000 or greater
o Shockwave, Zephyr, Saffie, Abacus, Rascal, Delphine
• Class 2, 0825, handicap of 999 or less
o Mya, Lesa, Kerenza, Fra, Tilikum, Frith

Start line
• Between committee boat and Royal London YC buoy (Solent Mark Code 4K) position 50 46.15N 01 16.65W.
To reach this buoy, exit Cowes and turn right/East along the new small boat channel. The buoy is off Castle Point, the headland before you reach Osbourne Bay.

Finish line

• Between committee boat (starboard) and Bembridge Tide Gauge position 50 42.46N 01 05.01W (port).
The gauge, indicating the depth of water in the shallowest part of the channel, is mounted on the Bembridge Approach Light-beacon, a yellow pile with an X top mark Fl.Y.2s 1M, is situated about 250 metres northward of St. Helens Fort and marking the point of approach into the harbour.
• In the absence of the Committee boat, competitors are to take their own finishing times when the Tide Gauge bears 245°magnetic

Starting procedure
To simplify the start for those who do not usually race, we will issue starting signals simultaneously with flags, horn and VHF channel 8 broadcast. The way I remember it is “up up down down”.
• 5 minutes before start – warning
o One blast on fog horn
o PSSA battle flag raised
o Broadcast on VHF channel 8 “PSSA five minutes”
• 4 minutes before start – preparatory
o One blast on fog horn
o PSSA burgee raised
o Broadcast on VHF channel 8 “PSSA four minutes”
• 1 minute before start
o One long blast on fog horn
o PSSA burgee lowered
o Broadcast on VHF channel 8 “PSSA one minute”
• Start
o One blast on fog horn
o PSSA battle flag lowered
o Broadcast on VHF channel 8 “PSSA start”

• Recall
o Individual recall – when a yacht crosses the line early
One blast on fog horn
X flag raised (most likely on a pole) - the X flag is a blue plus on a white background
VHF channel 8 call to the specific yacht “PSSA yacht XYZ recall”
o General recall – when it is not possible to identify yachts crossing the line early, or starting error
Two short blasts on fog horn
First Substitute flag raised – a yellow triangle with blue outline. If I don’t receive one for the race I will continuously raise and lower the PSSA battle flag
VHF channel 8 broadcast “PSSA recall”
• Race restart
o Repeat of 5,4,1,0 starting procedure
VHF channel 8 broadcasts “PSSA restart in 5…4…1…start”

Berthing in Bembridge
Details for all entrants, except for Fra who is not able to stay, have been passed to Bembridge Marina who are ready to receive on you Saturday night. Non racing yachts Juno and Vol-au-vent bring our total to 13 yachts.

Dining in Bembridge
23 entrants + 3 from Juno + 3 from Vol-au-vent = 29 to dine
http://www.thevinesthelens.co.uk/  . We aim to arrive at 7pm to eat at 7.30pm.

If I have forgotten to mention anything, or you have any questions, please do let me know. I will have paper copies of the above with me to distribute to you in Cowes (East and West) and at the start line if you are well fendered.

Have a great race!

Cheers - Ken

Ken
Ken Surplice
2019-09-08T21:59:12Z
  RIOW 2019 Parker and Seal full report.pdf (100kb) downloaded 35 time(s).Round-the-island report and results

See the attached file for a detailed report and an explanation explaining how the race works, to encourage you to enter in 2020 or to join for the social element.

2019 highlights
  • 12 yachts racing

• 1 yacht joining the social activities

• 1 race committee yacht

• 13 yachts berthing in Bembridge and dinner for 30

Racing results

Position based on handicap/position across the line - yacht - skipper, crew inc skipper - starting group

1/3 S26 Rascal, Phillip Linsell, crew 1, wave 2
2/1 S26 Lesa, Hilary Martin, crew 2, wave 2
3/5 S26, Fra, John Roe, crew 3, wave 2
4/7 S26 Mya, Peter Dann, crew 3, wave 2
5/4 P235 Zephyr, Peter Scrivens, crew 2, wave 1
6/6 P325 Tilikum, Jonathan Houston, crew 3, wave 2
7/2 P275 Abacus, Clifford Miller, crew 3, wave 1
8/8 P275 Delphine, Gilliane Sills, crew 2, wave 1
9/9 P275 Shockwave, Ieuan Stanley, crew 3, wave 1
10/10 P21 Saffie, David Ellis, crew 2, wave 1
11/11 P27 Frith, Martin Watson, crew 1, wave 2
12/12 P325 Kerenza, Jeremy Parsons, crew 2, wave 2

Congratulations to all participants for making it an exciting and social race.

Many thanks to
- Nigel Wallbank for creating notice of race and sailing instructions
- Peter Lowry for making initial arrangements at Bembridge Marina and at The Vine Pub
- Jenny Lowry and Sue Surplice for their great work on the committee boat at the start and finish lines and to Sue for validating the racing results by hand against computer derived results.

Ken Surplice
non-racing racing officer 🙂
Ken