barry.tiernan
2019-03-08T18:23:34Z
Hi

I am wondering what advice for a fire extinguisher for the engine compartment, inside the engine hold or via an access point. I have no access hole on my boat, Sulito number 39??. Do people bother with one?

Regards

Barry Tiernan

MartinH
2019-03-10T11:07:30Z
Hi Barry
Our boat (Tringa No50) has a Firetrace automatic extinguisher that protects the main electrics and the engine compartment.

https://www.firetrace.co.uk . I don't know whether it is still the case but they used to supply "second user" systems.

Firetrace works on a pressurised plastic tube that bursts and releases fire suppressant if it gets too hot. The biggest problem on out boat was finding somewhere to mount the cylinder, it ended up behind the nav. instruments panel.

I guess there are several options for small automatic extinguishers which are designed to mount in the engine compartment.

Martin
barry.tiernan
2019-03-18T12:08:21Z
Hi Martin

Thank you for your reply. I am hoping to mount one in the engine compartment if I can, although not a lot of space. Did you use a dry powder or clean agent.

Regards

Barry
MartinH
2019-03-18T17:40:40Z
Hi Barry

I have a clean agent system, I don't know what it is. The very helpful man at Firetrace said it had more than enough extinguisher power for what I needed and was not toxic.
Martin
barry.tiernan
2019-03-18T17:50:19Z
Hi Martin
Thanks, I will give them a call, was it the 1kg size

Barry