Ken Surplice
2018-10-11T19:34:40Z
Greetings Seals. It’s almost time for the South Coast laying up lunch. All members and guests are welcome. To help you get in the mood, here is a briefing on what you can look forward to and how you can secure your place in the company of fellow Seals.

Your steps to the laying up lunch
Ready - now - get ready - no action required and no need to start watching the weather forecast
Get set - soon - make your selection from the menu. It will be posted here shortly
Go! - by end of Sunday November 11th - secure your seats, 58 available, in our function room by sending me your menu choice. First come, first served.

If many members sign up and take up all the seats in the function room before you are ready to book in your party, no worries - you can secure your place on a table adjacent to our function room and take advantage of the same menu.

Highlights of laying up lunch 2018
When - Sunday 18th November. Arrive at noon. Eat at 1pm.
Where - The Bun Penny, 36 Manor Way, Lee-on-the-Solent PO13 9JH. This fine pub restaurant dates was a farmhouse in the 17th century. We will have exclusive use of the elegant Victoria function room. It accommodates 58 people. The sea and views of the Solent are a short stroll away.
Menu - Main course, desert and coffee for £20, including service. Choose from Sunday roasts, fish, gluten-free and vegetarian options. The menu will be available shortly.

Questions and answers
Does the restaurant offer a gluten-free menu?
Yes, the restaurant is very friendly to those with a gluten-free diet.

Does the restaurant offer a vegetarian menu?

Yes, the restaurant is vegetarian friendly.

Where do I park?

The Bun Penny has its own large car park at the south side of the building.

Can I pay by card?

Yes. You can either bring £20/head or pay individually by credit or debit card.

Can I bring my dog?

The bar area is dog friendly however dogs are not permitted in the dining area.

What is the dress code?

Anything vaguely smart-casual will suffice though many welcome the opportunity to dress up. Gentlemen often sport a blazer and a PSSA tie. The Commodore will kindly make himself available for selfies with elegant ladies, although he doesn’t know this yet.

Shall I bring Christmas cards?

Yes! A Christmas card swap with your PSSA friends will save you up to 67 pence per card.

Who can answer my questions?

Peter Lowry, Vice Commodore, planned the laying up lunch. Having performed all the work, he now finds he will be on holiday at the time of the lunch. I have happily taken over as organiser and will consume his food and beer. If you have any questions or requests, do please contact me and I will be pleased to help.

Looking forward to seeing you at the laying up lunch,
Ken Surplice
Vol-au-vent Parker 275
01256 476331
ken.surplice@btinternet.com

Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-10-11T19:43:27Z
The Bun Penny - exterior
IMG_3325.JPG

Click to View Image48 View(s)

Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-10-15T04:48:38Z
Bookings are open. Please now secure places for your party
1. Note the laying up lunch menu below
2. Email ken.surplice@btinternet.com or call 01256 476331, indicating for each member in your group
- name (so I can remind you of your choice)
- Special diet required? e.g. Gluten free or vegetarian
- Menu choice 1 and 2, selecting from 1B/1L/1T/1V/1F and 2F/2B/2C

1B Sunday roast beef (served pink)
1L Roasted Leg of Lamb
1T Roasted Turkey Breast
all roasts are served with a Yorkshire Pud & stuffing
1V Vegetarian Nut Loaf - Vegetarian or meat gravy is available
1F Grilled Fillets of Seabass with pesto
All meals are served with family style (shared on the table) roasted & new potatoes, fresh seasonal vegetables, gravy (on the table)

2F Fruit Crumble, custard
2B Warm Chocolate Brownie, salted caramel ice cream
2C Gluten free Fruit Cheesecake

Coffee

It's first come first served for the first 58 guests. After this you will be able to book a table outside the function room.

I will report back with an update on numbers in one week.

Thanks - Ken
Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-10-25T17:19:34Z
Laying up lunch - Lee on Solent 18 Nov

With 24 days to go before the laying up lunch, crews Speedwell, Lesa, Ariana, Delphine, Zephyr, Indiana, Ruby Star, Shiraz, Rascal, Cygnus (as was), Kerenza and Vol-au-Vent have given their menu choices. Fruit crumble desert is looking very popular!

This brings us to 21 participants so far, with space for an additional 37 in our private room and more in the main area if necesary. Will you join us? Please send me your menu choice so I may advise the chefs in advance of our arrival.

Thank you - Ken
Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-10-31T11:13:11Z
18 days until the 18th

Hi Folks, here is an update on the laying up lunch.
  • We now have 34 registrations. This leaves us with 24 places available in the function room, and more in the overflow room
  • Committee members who will be helping stuff newsletters into envelopes, please arrive at 11am. The pub will be closed but make some pleasant noises and you'll be admitted
  • For everyone else, please plan to arrive at or after noon as the place is closed until noon
  • Please be helpful to our caterer by submitting your menu choice to me by end of Sunday November 11th

Here is a summary of participants to-date:

Speedwell

Lesa

Ariana

Delphine

Zephyr

Indiana

Ruby Star

Shiraz

Rascal

Cygnus

Kerenza

Elsa

Tara

Sunflower

Tilikum

Sandy Lady

Vol-au-Vent

Thanks to all for your interest and support - Ken

Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-11-01T11:06:51Z
Adding Many Moons and Sea Lady. Attending to-date = 37.
Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-11-08T10:39:21Z
Laying up lunch in numbers

4 days to make your menu choice
10 days before our lunch
19 places remaining in the function room
24 fruit crumbles requested - it's the 'inn' thing, ha ha hahaha
39 plan to attend
47 days to Christmas

Reminder: Not yet indicated you will join us? Please advise me before end of Sunday 11th as the restaurant has requested our menu choices on Monday 12th November.

With just ten days to go before we enjoy our down south laying up lunch, here is an update on who has indicated they will attend. Our numbers are healthy but there is room to accommodate more. If you see that your friends are not on the list, do give them a nudge.

Ariana
Cygnus
Delphine
Elsa
Indiana
Jans Express
Kerenza
Lesa
Lucky Devil
Many Moons
Rascal
Ruby Star
Sandy Lady
Sea Lady
Shiraz
Speedwell
Sunflower
Tara
Tilikum
Vol-au-Vent
Zephyr

If you don't see your name here, don't panic - leave that to me! Please send me an email, or give me a call, or reply here. Thank you.
Ken
Ken Surplice
2018-11-11T20:37:08Z
Confirming laying up lunch participants

Hi Folks, I'm here to confirm the boat crews that will participate in the laying up lunch next Sunday. The Bun Penny "English Country Pub" has received your menu choices and will be ready to serve you. At the time of writing we expect to take up 46 of the 58 seats in the function room dedicated to the PSSA lunch. If you have not yet signalled your intent to join, please contact me and I will ask the Bun Penny to accommodate you now that they have the bulk of our menu choices.

Ariana
Cygnus
Delphine
Elsa
Heart of Glass
Indiana
Jans Express
Juno
Kerenza
Lesa
Lucky Devil
Many Moons