Ken Surplice
2013-08-15T20:42:49Z
Greetings Seals,

It's almost time for our annual visit to the Royal Victoria Yacht Club at Wootton Creek, Fishbourne, Isle of Wight. In recent years we have received a hugely warm welcome at this friendly and well appointed club. Food and drink are plentiful and excellent value so do join us. If the weather is good, come in your yacht. If the weather is foul, let Wightlink ferries do all the work for you. Step on in Portsmouth and step off at Wootton. After less than a minute of walking, you are at the Last Night Of The Proms Celebration.

How it works
  • arrive by yacht and enjoy an afternoon at leisure
  • at 7pm we head for dinner
  • after dinner the club broadcasts the BBC Proms concert
  • dressed in your patriotic regalia and waving your flag while equipped with song sheets, you join in the festivities
  • at the end it's last orders then retire to your yacht or the ferry

Last year we Seals made up for around 50% of those attending. It was a great turnout and thoroughly social. It would be great to see even more attend this year.

Please let me know if you plan to attend so I can help the club plan berthing and catering.
  • Yacht name /type
  • Contact name
  • Mobile phone number
  • Attending by yacht if good weather?
  • Number of persons for dinner

I'll be back later with choice of menu and approximate cost. You can expect a modest charge. The RVYC always offers excellent value for money.

I'm away until September 3rd, returning just in time to collect your information and report it to the club. Please feel free to reply here, or email me or, if our webmaster obliges, fill in the contact form.

See you at the Proms!
Ken
Ken
Ken Surplice
2013-08-15T22:20:28Z
And we're off! Thanks to P235 Amy and P275 Grace for getting us started. With three weeks to go, we are at three yachts and counting. Keep those registrations coming [:)].
Ken
philip linsell
2013-08-17T19:20:26Z
Hi Ken
Please include 'rascal' usual crew of 1
Philip
Ken Surplice
2013-08-18T14:51:18Z
Hi Folks,
With three weeks to go, we already have Amy, Grace, Rascal, Sophia and Vol-au-vent registering interest. I'm away from now, returning Tuesday September 3rd. We don't have the menu choice yet but if it does appear, I'll kindly ask Peter from Sophia to post it here. Please do continue to declare your interest by replying here or by emailing me or by leaving a message on my phone. Thank you. My contact details are in the Members Handbook.
Back in September - Ken

Ken Surplice
Ken
2013-08-30T18:02:28Z
Hi Ken, yes please book in Abacus with Sally on and I on board. First rally this year for new hip! Clifford
stephen roy
2013-09-01T11:31:34Z
Ken,count us 2 in for the Last Night of the Proms ,I'll do my garglling & vocal scales as I sail over so that I do not disturb your peace & tranquility on the pontoon.
Stephen & Julie and boat Penlu
PS I'm gluten free.
peter lowry
2013-09-02T17:12:43Z
MENU CHOICES

Hi all

sorry for the delay in menu choice

Ken returns tomorrow from his holidays and will continue with the plans for the weekend

Please could you advise him of your menu choice ASAP
Fish n Chips
Bangers n Mash
Steak n ale pie
Rich lentil and red wine pie (V)

Price £6.50
Puddings available onthe night at exrtra cost

I too will be attending on Sophia with Jenny Robert and Demi (MUM !)on board

Looking for seeing you all

We too will have a crew in full singing voices

Peter Lowry
peter lowry
2013-09-02T17:13:50Z
MENU CHOICES

Hi all

sorry for the delay in menu choice

Ken returns tomorrow from his holidays and will continue with the plans for the weekend

Please could you advise him of your menu choice ASAP
Fish n Chips
Bangers n Mash
Steak n ale pie
Rich lentil and red wine pie (V)

Price £6.50
Puddings available onthe night at exrtra cost

I too will be attending on Sophia with Jenny Robert and Demi (MUM !)on board

Looking for seeing you all

We too will have a crew in full singing voices

Peter Lowry
adrian
2013-09-02T18:12:11Z
Hi Ken,
Please add Ade @ Pam on Bonaire, weather looks good so we'll sail across. Looking forward to a good sing song.
Thanks for the menu'we'll have steak n ale pie and bangers n mash

Ade n Pam
David Bamber
2013-09-04T16:58:50Z
Hi Ken,

Sea Lady, crew = 1.

regards

David

David Bamber
David Bamber
Ken Surplice
2013-09-05T00:09:52Z
RALLY UPDATE

Hi Folks. Here's news on our rally. First, thank you to Sophia for taking care of arrangements while I have been on holiday. Second, I am pleased to report that so far we are up to 23 persons and 10 yachts:
John on Amy
Linda and Kevin + 2 on Grace
Ken and Sue + 1 on Vol-au-vent
Chris and Alice of Elsa (no boat - home port)
Russ on Pelican
Peter and Jenny +2 on Sophia
Clifford and Sally on Abacus
Philip on (is a) Rascal
Stephen and Julie on Penlu
Adrian and Pam on Bonaire
David on Sea Lady

If you do not see your name and you plan to join in then please reply here or contact me at home. We have plenty of space and it is not too late to join in.

I am waiting for menu choices from John and David.I'll keep an eye on the weather. Contingency plan is to go by ferry if the outlook deteriorates.

Looking forward to seeing you at RVYC Wootton,
Ken

Ken
Ken Surplice
2013-09-05T21:38:42Z
ANOTHER RALLY UPDATE

The wind forecast is looking reasonable for the weekend. I’m also pleased to report that I now have menu choice for all our members that are looking forward to joining the Proms event on Saturday night. It turns out that one yacht will now have a crew of three instead of a crew of one, so the view is:
• 10 yachts (1*28’, 1*23’, 8*27’)
• 25 persons
o 7 * fish and chips
o 5 * bangers and mash
o 11 * steak and ale pie
o 1 * lentil pie
o 1 * gluten-free waiting to learn if the lovely Gail can cater for them or if they should bring their own meal

Ken Surplice
Ken
paulr
2013-09-06T06:33:08Z
have a great time- sorry we can't make it but with springs and 1.7m draft not a good one for us (and some Seals will remember our visit on neaps earlier this year when we dried on a h ard patch and some frantic late night knitting was required for a few hours to stop a dramatic lean)
Stuart Tucker
2013-09-06T16:51:58Z
Hi Ken,

Have a great time. Sorry we can't make it, but we are doing the Eastney Cruising Association Nab Tower Race, followed by a Caribbean Night in the Clubhouse. Not quite the Last Night at the Proms, I know ........ !!!!

However, looking forward to seeing everyone in Pegasus's home port of Langstone on the Southsea Marina Rally on the 21st September.

All the best,

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37