David Bamber
2012-08-17T20:06:03Z
Dear Parkers & Seals,

I am still expecting a race on 1 Sept. but it will be in the Solent rather than around the IoW. There is an issues with tides that I had overlooked in selecting the date and since even King Canute (who lived in Portsmouth) could not change the tides nor can I!

The race would be from Yarmouth to east Solent and then back to just east of Cowes (23-27 n-miles).

I am awaiting views from the committee and would-be participants.

Looking on the bright side, I would hope that a Solent-based course would be more attractive those with smaller boats.

I expect that most of us are waiting on the weather before taking a final decision.

Please advise asap if you intend coming since I will try to book berths at Shepherds Wharf.

regards

David

David Bamber
2012-08-21T17:09:08Z
Dear David,
I have been invited to take part in the RIOW race on 1st Sept and have read the current notice on the web site. Are you intending to change the instructions before then? The tides look completely wrong for starting from Yarmouth at 0700 and going anti-clockwise about, whereas they would have been perfect on the 9th June.

Also, are you UT or BST?

Yours,
Murray
David Bamber
2012-08-22T10:10:42Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Murray Russell
Murray,

I dropped a clod with the timing when I chose the date. I must have looked up the LW time at Portsmouth not HW.

The matter is under consideration with the Committee but the best I can mange at the moment is leaving Yarmouth 0800 - 0830 to arrive east Solent (I.E. stay in the Solent) on the rising tide at about 1130 (slack water) and follow the ebb tide (west) to the finish line.

Alternatively, postpone the race until 8 September (perhaps you might look at a suggested start time of 0700-0730.) I am away from home during the week so I do not have access to reliable tidal flow charts.

I prefer option 1 since it is the original date and it is within school holidays and bank holiday week. Anyone any views?

David Bamber

David Bamber
James Hamilton
2012-08-22T13:58:04Z
I would prefer option 1 (I presume this is using the solent route to No Mans and back). With the strong spring tide, I have difficulty in thinking of a wind (NW F3-4?) which would make the round the island option feasible or pleasant on September 1st, at least for the smaller boats

Jim Hamilton (Sandy Lady P235)

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg