Ken Surplice
2011-05-23T22:49:46Z
Hi Folks,

With the Bank Holiday approaching, it's time to sort out the Weymouth Rally. I know what you are thinking and the answer is no, we will not be affected by the latest volcanic erruption in Iceland [:)]. Looking at the long range weather forecast at www.ecmwf.int  it seems that much evil is coming our way this week but things should settle down, as if by magic, starting on Saturday 28th May. However, as Mr Atlantic is definitely unsettled, please check back here for updates. The weather forecast for the holiday week itself is settled at least through Thursday which is as far as the forecast goes. If you signed up for the rally, I will keep you informed by email and mobile phone.

When and where: Our family plan is to depart from the Hamble around 9am on Saturday and head for Studland Bay and get the BBQ going. All being well, we'll then head for Weymouth early on Sunday morning.

Who is coming? If I have forgotten anyone, do let me know! Signed up so far we have:
Niquadi, P27, Richard, Diane, Nicole
Shiraz, S22, Royce and Brenda
<to be named>, S22/9, Steve and Karen
Limmershin, S26, Brian and Jane (PYC)
Black Jack, S26, Paul, Zoe, Jenny and Mathew
Vol-au-vent, P275, Ken, Sue, Kate and Paul

Keeping in contact: Over the weekend, we'll be listening out on VHF channel 8. You are also welcome to phone. Please use this number: 07986 986 398.

Looking forward to joining you in Weymouth,
Ken, Sue, Kate, Paul

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Ken Surplice
2011-05-27T09:30:29Z
Folks, the weather is playing up a bit. With a Saturday forecast of SW 5-7, we are delaying our departure. I'll see what Sunday's forecast looks like. For those who expressed interest, I'll update you by SMS. Keep those fingers crossed! Meanwhile, think positive. See the delayed departure as a positive thing - now you can load your boat without rushing....
Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Ken Surplice
2011-05-28T22:42:46Z
The weather has not settled down yet but at least it is decisive. The Saturday evening forecast confirms that Sunday will not be a departure day either. We'll sit tight at home for now and hope things clear up for a Monday departure from the Solent.

Here's a who's where:

Vol-au-vent - still hoping to make Weymouth
Niquaydi - not sure of whereabouts
Shiraz - will go west as far as Poole/Chichester, weather permitting
Chimer - out until Wednesday; probably no further west than Poole
Limmershin - after big refit, will stay in Poole
Black Jack - like us, watching the weather
Slide Rule - has already come to Solent from East Coast

Anyone in the Poole area, please look out for Shiraz, Chimer and Limmershin, all of whom would appreciate your company.

Yours hoping for a change of weather from Monday onwards,
Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Ken Surplice
2011-05-30T09:45:56Z
Monday update - as the wind eases slightly the rain moves in. But tomorrow will be better! Unfortunately the winds will turn easterly later in the week. Of the original crew heading for Weymouth, only Vol-au-vent and Blackjack are left and we've reluctantly given up on Weymouth for this week.

For those that do manage to slip out of harbour, we hope to rendezvous in Ryde in the second half of the week. Meanwhile, we're off to Brighton Pavillion now, by car!

Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
Ken Surplice
2011-06-07T22:07:31Z
Rally report

PSSA half term cruise, not quite to Weymouth
May 28th to June 5th

Every half-term / Spring Bank holiday, we aim to sail to Weymouth and back. The strange thing is that the only Seal to make it this year came from the East Coast. Slide Rule, with John Harburn at the helm, was on a summer cruise, commencing at Benfleet, passing through Weymouth then heading to France. Well done John, and sorry we did not connect.

As we approached the departure weekend it looked as if high pressure would ease out the very strong winds we'd been experiencing. Alas, on Saturday 28th, Bramblemet tells me that the wind peaked at 29 knots. On Sunday, the wind exceeded 27 knots and on Bank Holiday Monday the wind eased but the weather was not terribly inviting. By now the forecast for the end of the holiday week was for easterly winds and thoughts of making Weymouth were carried away in those very winds.

We had hoped to rendezvous with newly purchased Chimer S22, newly refurbished Limmershin S26, Black Jack S26, Shiraz S22, Niquaydi P27 and Slide Rule P31. This was not to be, but we made a good recovery. Black Jack had made it over from Poole and was in Bembridge. On Wednesday we left our Hamble berth at 6.45am for a rendezvous in Ryde. Phun: note that our early starts continue! The air was still and nobody was out midweek. I can't wait to retire and enjoy more of this. Once in Southampton water, it was windless and smooth. The whole Solent could have been a water ski area. Eventually, we enjoyed a light following wind and flew our spinnaker , a rare event, and ghosted along with no sense of motion but making good progress thanks to the spring tide underneath us. With a blue sky, this was as good as it gets, until we caught two mackerel and then it was better than it gets, and a bit smellier too. We sailed up close to Ryde and managed to locate the bottom as we dropped sails just east of the harbour fairway. Thank goodness for lifting keels. We entered the harbour and were pleased to see plenty of space. This was to be our home for three nights. The shower block has been spruced up and is very inviting. On the pontoons, you are requested to use your own hose pipe if you want to fill up your water tank, but harbour hoses are available for washing off your boat. The evenings were peaceful and warm in our mini heat wave. If one of your family appreciates skate parks, there is an excellent park right by the harbour.

Wednesday - crew Vol-au-vent, minus daughter Kate who was revising for exams, were pleased to be joined by Crew Black Jack: Paul, Zoe, Jenny and Mathew. Later Peter, Jenny and Robert of Cleo arrived by ferry and stayed with us overnight. We enjoyed a very long walk, almost to Bembridge, and later played beach games, paddled in the sea and gathered around a beach barbecue. Note: Ryde + westerly wind + bbq on the wall = good.

Thursday - Chris and Alice from Elsa, based at Wooton, came to town to rendezvous for a fish and chip lunch. We had plenty to talk about. Later that afternoon crew Cleo returned home. Young Paul and I brave the water and went for a swim and found it surprisingly warm. Vol-au-vent and Black Jack ate together in the Mexican restaurant in the high street. Service was good but the food was missing a little something. Not bad, but not excellent either.

Friday - Kate arrived by ferry with friend Olivia to join Vol-au-vent. Later Richard, Diane and Nicole arrived on Niquaydi, followed later by Geoff on Stroller. Later still, Alex and Leah from Cleo arrived by ferry for a day visit and stayed long enough to enjoy our BBQ. It was good to see so many youngsters together. Let me see… Kate + Paul + Jenny + Matthew + Nicole + Olivia + Alex + Leah = eight. It would have been nine if Robert has stayed. Also joining us at the BBQ were Adrian and Pam from Bonaire, a Southerly. They had sneaked in unrecognised but spotted me on the beach. You may remember their previous yacht, Vienna, a P235. We were kindly invited aboard for post BBQ drinks. As they are still with lifting keel, I invited them to join us more often. Ex-Seals are welcome to continue to their membership. Note: Ryde + easterly wind + bbq behind the wall = bad = sandy sausage. Not recommended!

We left Ryde on Saturday lunchtime all the better for having met crews from Black Jack, Cleo, Niquaydi, Stroller, Elsa and Bonaire. Thank you all for the great company and thank you wind for a great sail home. Not quite downwind each way, but close.

Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken