GeoffTurner
2011-03-30T11:17:54Z
I'm planning to go there if the weather's ok - does anyone else want to give it a go?

Looks like it should be a good event - lots of music and entertainment, and tall ships of course! It's billed as "the biggest event in Ireland in 2011".

More info at http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/ 

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
GeoffTurner
2011-07-17T12:23:34Z
Well I went and had a thoroughly good time - 3 days of partying!

It took a while to get there - a 22 hour beat, then 15 miles upriver to the town. I anchored just downriver from the festival, along with a dozen or so other yachts, including SS26 Sabrina from Wexford.
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
There was a free Bryan Ferry concert on Thursday, and the Waterboys on Friday - with many other bands around the town all day long. Apparently, about 200,000 people were there on the Saturday.
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
After a parade downriver on Sunday morning, the race itself started in no wind in the afternoon. I also left, but after drifting around till 0230 (along with all the tall ships), I turned round and motored back to Kilmore Quay.
UserPostedImage
After hopping home and back on the Rosslare / Fishguard ferry, I sailed back across St Georges channel a week later - perfect sailing in a sunny force 3 beam reach all the way. That only took 14 hours!

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
ARRussell
2011-07-25T20:19:36Z
Geoff,

What a great trip! And an inspiring pair of (single-handed?) passages too. I reckon I'd like to make that crossing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche